IUD and antibiotics...

Can someone answer my question about antibiotics, not their like or dislike of the IUD... Will antibiotics make the hormones of my IUD not do their job? Can I get pregnant like you can get pregnant when taking antibiotics while taking birth control pills.

sauterelledesil

Asked by sauterelledesil at 8:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Health

• I have a friend who just got pregnant because she was on antibiotics and had an IUD. I'd use extra protection.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 9:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i had an IUD in and have a 7 month old DD now.. i had a cold and was on antibiotics so im guessing that was how SURPRISE came to be lol
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 9:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• As far as I know, no it doesn't effect the IUD. But where the Mirena has hormones, too, antibiotics MAY decrease the effectiveness of it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I have mirena and they put me on an antibiotic, i asked the doctor they said it wouldn't effect the iud at all.
    Anonymous

• If you are on the MIrena IUD then yes it can decrease it because the Mirena has hormones, but that is not the ONLY way it prevents pregnancy unlike the pill. If you are on the Paragard that has no hormones then no antibiotics will not effect it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:33 AM on Jul. 9, 2009