How do I get my 8 month old to sleep in her own crib without having her scream in terror? It's heart breaking!?

My 8 month old daughter has been sleeping in bed with us her whole short little life. Now I am trying to get her to sleep on her own. I do the routine of eating dinner and then a bath then I sit with her in her room and breast feed till she is almost asleep then put her in her crib. This is when the blood curtailing screams start. Some times it lasts 10 min and some times a half hour. We have been doing this crib thing for about a week and a half but it's not getting any easier. I don't mind having her in our bed the only reason I stopped was I was afraid since she has become more mobile that she was going to fall out onto our tile floors and it's a pretty big drop. S

Caper

Asked by Caper at 8:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she doesn't like the crib and you don't mind her in bed, don't push such a hard thing on her. Co sleeping is best for children anyway. Just get a bed rail. Or if your bed is against a wall, put her on that side.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I agree, put up a bed rail, or put the mattress on the floor. I've done both and we're still co-sleeping. It's best for all of you...don't force the poor thing. You'll both be miserable anyway. If you sleep together it's happiness for all!
    used2chaos

Answer by used2chaos at 9:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Let her cry it out, I did that with both of my kids and they are just fine. No trust issues or anything like some claim....
    Anonymous

• Let her co sleep. She is obviously just not ready. My dd is 4.5 months and still in our room and I would co sleep but she thinks its play time. That being said she is 1/2 metre away from me and cant handle any more. Enjoy co sleeping while it lasts and figure something else out later when she can transition more easily. Get a bed rail and that will solve all concerns and stop the crying. Do not CIO, some babies can handle it and others can't. It is barbaric, inhumane and cruel. Do you expect you needs to be met when you cry? So do they
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Actually, the crying is to be expected. My daughter slept with us for the first 8 wks. of her life when we transitioned her into the crib. She is a very determined little girl and I'd say it took a good month before she was the least bit comfortable in her crib. We were just consistent and always put her down there. When she'd cry, we'd go in, shush her and rock her and put her back down. Trust me, your daughter will adapt, it just takes time. She is now 4 mos. and easily goes down in her crib with little or no crying. Since I bf, I thought I was getting more sleep having her in bed, but it wasn't until she was in her own crib that I realized our sleep was restless b/c I was always worried about crushing her and she is very noisy. She also slept better on her own. Just be consistent and go in and comfort her every 5 or 10 mins. She will get over this.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:29 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• get a bed rail, and put your mattress on the floor and up against the wall. dd just turned a year and is still breastfed and we still bed-share. we are all very happy like this. if you were happy, and it works for you, then there is no reason to stop at this point. i wouldn't be able to let my daughter scream and cry like that. clearly, she is happier with you :)
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You have to let children learn to calm themselves and you need your bed back! The bed is for a husband and a wife to connect and to cuddle. Children need to be in their own room. You can do it. Read Happiest Baby on the Block. That book has great ideas on how to keep the whole family happy.
    Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 11:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2009