help!!

I just had my beautiful new baby boy 6 days ago and I am breastfeeding. I haven't felt the full on milk flow yet and I haven't felt engorged yet but I know I have somewhat of a milk supply because when I nurse I feel the let down and when he breaks the latch I can see the milk flowing...ok so here's my problem, no matter how much I feed him he just doesn't seem satisfied- it got to the point where I was ready to break into tears at the hospital so the nurse offered me a bottle for him, which I gladly accepted and that set off a really bad cycle that I can't seem to break now. Even though I'm trying to breastfeed as much as possible, he gets frustrated after a while and I have to supplement with about an ounce or 2 of formula maybe 2 times a day. I know its not much but I would really like to be successful with breastfeeding this time being that I wasn't with my older son. What can I do to up my milk supply and cont...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• and what can I do to get him to be satisfied without having to supplement- its really starting to depress me. Thanks for any help you can give.
    Anonymous

• You have to stop the bottle-feeding right away. (Stupid nurse!) That is only stopping you from producing more milk. The more he nurses the more milk you will produce. You just need to tough it out and nurse constantly if that is what it takes...I know it's hard, but once your supply is up he won't nurse as frequently. There is also a tea to help, found in health food stores - Whole Foods, etc. I think it's called Mother's Milk. It's supposed to help your milk production. You can also pump (I know, are you kidding?!) but in between, if you can force yourself for a couple of days, it will help. Hang in there, the beginning is the toughest part...but it's so worth it!
    used2chaos

Answer by used2chaos at 9:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Ok STOP THE FORMULA- and understand this about breast feeding-- breast milk is based on the supply comes from demand--- baby sucks your brain gets a message to produce breastmilk- and it will respond (not quickly but it will respond) it will take your mind body brain about 4-6 weeks YES THAT IS WEEKS to be up to snuff with baby -- so in the first 6 weeks please let your baby nurse on demand as long and as much as the baby would like .....and in six weeks you will be sailing...
    so how do you sleep- you co-bed (and if anyone tells you its dangerous tell them to show you the comparisons of crib to co bed injuries crib is like 4000 a year and co bed is 64 in 4 years )
    now eating- cheese fresh fruit, veggies, ask hubby to pick up a chicken from the store already cooked nuts ask a visitor to make you something... like that finger foods and friends and family
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Oh and one more thing please write a letter to the manager of the unit you were on asking her to mandate for the nursing staff better breastfeeding education .. and if need be for the Doctors too
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Your baby has become accustomed to the ease of the bottle and has developed a preferance. You need to be more stubborn than the baby and stop giving the bottles. Every bottle given sends a signal to your body to NOT make milk and your supply suffers. The more you nurse, the more milk you will make. Your baby will SEEM unsatisfied but that is supposed to happen. That tells your body to make more milk. This is what happens during a growth spurt (which happens OFTEN in the beginning) and other times that the baby needs to get your supply up.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 10:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Ok, I have to disagree with everyone who is telling you to stop the formula. If you are not producing enough milk, yes, nursing him more should cause your body to make more milk, but you don't know how long that might take. Probably not too long, but in the meantime, your baby is hungry and that usually means crying and fussy which is not good for you. It won't hurt him that you supplement a few ounces of formula- my baby went back and forth b/t bottle and breast for 6 weeks, and my friend's did for 6 months. If you don't already have them, make sure whatever bottles you use (we like the Playtex Ventaire) you are using the WIDE nipples (more like the boob) NOT THE STANDARD ones and make sure they are LOW FLOW NIPPLES. Sometimes you have to supplement - my baby was starving the first 2 days b/c I wasn't making enough milk and was a little jaundiced. Do what you have to do - don't let them scare you about bottles!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You are doing great... and it will get better! I had a HORRIBLE time to start with my son... problem after problem. And we also were supplementing with formula and always did... not much, like with you, but some. I didn't let it get to me.
    What worked for me.. If you happen to be using a shield, get rid of it, it has a huge impact on supply. Everytime you bottle feed you MUST pump to tell your breast there is still that demand. Also try adding a pumping session before you go to bed.. even if the baby just ate. You body will start knowing that you ALWAYS feed at that time and will make more milk. Then you can replace your supplements with expressed milk (with me some times of day were the problem, not how much milk I had total)
    And then a supplement for yourself- I thought more milk plus worked the best of anything... fenugreek work ok too.
    At this age they have a growth spurt too so that is probably some of it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Just keep feeding him when he wants it. He's probably just fussy, not hungry. My DD was a bear at that time! She wanted to feed every hour and I wanted to die. I thought it would never end. Even though she latched on very well and was always a good feeder, there were times when I'd get so frustrated I just wanted to quit. I'd say it took a good 6 wks. before we were both comfortable with the whole thing. You're starting out and not sure about how hungry he is, how satisfied he is, etc. I was convinced my DD wasn't getting enough food, but the doc. kept telling me she was. They're just so little and new and it's hard to tell what they want, but you should be giving him enough. It gets so much better. I promise. My DD is now 4 mos. and I'm glad I hung in there.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2009