Rice or oatmeal, which cereal is more constipating.

my sons doctor said to use rice cereal instead of oatmeal cause its constipating and my son has problems with that, but then i read today that if your child gets constipated while trying new foods to stay away from rice cereal. I've been giving him rice cereal and he hhas continued the problem so should i switch him to oatmeal?

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• you need to up his fluids-- both rice and oatmeal suck up A LOT of water from the bowel so you need to give him more fluid--- you can also add a fruit to help out like say apple sauce or prunes BUT you still need increased fluids for it to work
    also YOU CAN COMPLETELY SKIP THE CEREAL THING and just cut it out all together and do veggies and fruits (plus of course his formula or breastmilk)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• In general, rice is more constipating because it doesn't have as much fibre, unless it's whole grain. Oatmeal is whole grain, thus less constipating. I think that's why rice is part of the BRAT diet when kids get diarrhea.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• All I know is that my 11 month old will eat a pack of oatmeal for a meal... as in a pack of Quaker Instant Oatmeal.. I swear that I can feed her a bowl and then 15 minutes later I am changing a nasty diaper! LOL
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I think rice is more constipating. If you have trouble with your child going poop, give them a small amt. (like 1mL) of flax seed oil. It's completely natural, approved by most pediatricians, and is a natural laxative. According to the dietary stuff I've read up on you can give up to 1 tsp (5mL) but I don't even use that much for ME when I'm constipated. A very small amount will do the trick, 20 min later you'll have a poopy mess to clean
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• when DD started foods she had to have prunes with her cereal each morning (both rice and oatmeal) or she'd get bound up. not totally constipated, but she'd have troubles going. the daily dose of prunes (1/2 jar of the stage 1's) kept her regular. we still give her a jar when she's had trouble and it really loosens things up for her.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• They don't need the rice or oatmeal at all. It's of no nutritional value. All rice cereals have added artificial iron in them. IDK about baby oatmeals. You can just skip them and move to naturally healthy foods.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:30 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I don't know for usre but rice would be more binding (like in the BRAT diet you eat rice to bind up diarrhea). And oatmeal is known for more fiber, which means getting the bowels moving more. But I would have to read the boxes you're buying from. Read how much fiber is in it. You can add prune juice to the oatmeal, or add juice??? maybe or call nurse to find out more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• my son has big problems with rice but went back to normal with oatmeal
    Chilosa

Answer by Chilosa at 12:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• 100 % rice is the one that is more constipating I changed to oatmeal with my baby girl It got a lot better Her pediatrician told me to give her all the baby food fruits flavor that started with letter P ( Plum, Pineapple, Peach, Pear) all those fruit food for baby will help to your baby  to be less constipated.

: - )

Vero529

Answer by Vero529 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• ANY kind of that wallpaper glue....er, I mean infant cereal...... backed my kids up. If I were to have a 4th, I would skip infant cereal altogether and start them on fruits/veggies first then add REAL oatmeal to their diet when they were old enough to handle the texture. My rule for baby food is, if it makes me gag, there is no way I will force them to eat it. LOL.
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 2:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2009