Would you stay with a man who won't confront his mother about lies she's spreading about you?

Basically, my bf's mom is telling their family members that I'm refusing to let her see the baby, and that her health is deteriorating because of the emotional stress I've caused (by not allowing her to see the baby). She has never been told she can't see the baby. She just doesn't want to come to MY house to see her. I don't have a car and she doesn't live close to me, but she has a car. She won't swallow her pride long enough to stop by MY house to see the baby, so she decides to make up lies and get my bf's family to hate me.

I asked my bf to talk to her about this, but he keeps saying he'll "do it tomorrow". I think he's afraid to confront his mother. I don't know if I can stay with a man who is afraid to call out his mother on her behavior.

What would you do if you were in my situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• I would tell him he has a choice- and give him a timeframe to follow thru -- #1 he can step up be a man and confront mommy and let her know her lies are NOT acceptable and better stop asap, or #2 he can do nothing and be dumped. If he does not follow thru and confront mommy within your time frame (like 5 days, 2 weeks- whatever you pick) then it is time to kick his sorry ass to the curb.
    I hope things work out.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Personally, I'd call her out. My ex's mom was VERY good at being shady and saying crappy things about (and to me). I told him to either "get her on a leash and under control, or I would." He didn't, so I did. We aren't together anymore, but not because of her. I'd say, there's no reason why YOU can't confront her. And I'd tell bf that you are going to if he won't. Throw in a "and it won't be pretty" see if that lights a fire under him! ;)
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Been there done that. I wish I hadn't wasted 5 years of my life dealing with a momma's boy and his crazy family. I could tell you to save yourself the heartache but I think most people (like myself) have to learn this lesson the hard way.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Why don't YOU confront her?? My SO's mother was doing the same thing to me. He told me not to worry about it, because he doesn't like his mother anyway. Long story, but his mother was very abusive to him growing up. He loves her because she is his mom, but he doesn't even speak to her unless he has to, so him saying something was out of the question. Anyway, I got tired of it one day && called her up myself. I told him what I was doing && he was fine with it. It didn't help anything, she still talks shit constantly, but he has always been the black sheep of his family, so we just don't go around them.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• No I wouldn't.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• If it were me I wouldn't be that far into a relationship with a man who's mother hated me. Never mind have a baby with him. But to answer your question yes I would stay with him. I would never expect him to choose sides. That is his mother. My husband has an amazing relationship with his mother. As do my boys with me.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I'd stop having children by men I wasn't married to. Didn't you just post this the other night? We didn't give you sympathy then, you're not getting it tonight. Deal with it. Tell no-nuts to grow some balls and tell granny to get over herself.
    Anonymous

• OP

No, I didn't post this before. And the pregnancy wasn't planned.
    Anonymous

• I'd get rid of the BF. If he won't stand up to his mom, he either doesn't care enough or he puts her before you. Either way, not good.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• id stay with him but id DEMAND he confront her. thats pointless and immature and shes just looking for attention and shes looking to make YOU look bad. tell him its getting ridiculous and tell him you will leave him and tell him wut i had told my df in a different situation. i said 'u obviously dont care about my reputation or how i feel'
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 10:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2009