How can I handle tantrums?

I have 4 kids, an 8 year old boy, a 7 year old girl, a 3 year old boy and a 2 year old boy. My 3 year old has always had tantrums when he did not get his way, but they pretty much tapered off, but now they have gotten worse since he hasn't been taking naps. His tantrums usually happen when he is so tired he can't handle any type of stress. For the last two or three weeks he and I decided NO more naps and about 3 days ago I took the nuk away (on his 3rd Birthday). When he doesn't take a nap he is just a grouch, but when he takes a nap (even a half hour nap), he doesn't go to sleep at night until midnight or longer. His tantrums have gotten worse since he lost his blanket and he is not allowed to have a nuk. Today he slept for about a half hour or so and he had one of the worst tantrums he has ever had. He kicks, screams, throws things, hits on his little brother. I just don't know how to prevent this from happening.

momof4greatkidz

Asked by momof4greatkidz at 9:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have 4 kids as well and do not pay any mind to tantrums. When my 3 year old tries to throw one I walk away or in a very calm voice ask her what the issue is.

I have noticed when i am very calm she seems to stop sooner than if I pay attention to the tantrum and try to stop it.
    TheWAHM

Answer by TheWAHM at 9:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Well, I don't know my son was still napping at 3 and I think at that age they do need the extra rest. Watch Nanny 911. Use a time out chair for every tantrum, and if he gets up keep putting him back in the chair over and over and over and over and over again until he gets the message. Put him to bed at 8pm and make him stay in the bed. If he gets out, put him back in his bed and repeat this process until he gets the message. If the tantrums aren't stopping and you are to the point where you don't know how to handle this it's because you've allowed him to wear you down. It's understandable because you have 4 children but you have to take the control back or your youngest wont' be far behind with bad behavior and then it will be double the trouble. Remember this word "consistency". Some kids are really hard nuts to crack but if you stick with it, he'll get it.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Have you had his eyes checked? My sister-in-law had tantrums when she was little, and come to find out, she was easily frustrated due to her poor eyesight. Once she got glasses, the tantrums stopped.
    AWifeandMom

Answer by AWifeandMom at 11:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2009