How can I entertain an immobile toddler?

My husband fell down a few steps outside my sister's house on the 4th while holding my 12 month old daughter. She broke her left femur in the fall and is in a cast covering about 75% of her body. They have to keep her hips still in order for the femur to stay in place. My daughter is understandably frustrated. A few days ago she was almost walking on her own and now she is stuck where we put her. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can entertain her and be able to get things done around the house? I mean, as much as I would love to say that I can't clean or do laundry because she needs my attention, I can't.... there isn't a housework fairy at my house. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sorry to hear about ur DD's situation :(
    U could teach her how to use a magna doodle (no mess plus she can stil color). When my DD was immobile I would sit her up in our livingroom chair & surround her by toys so she would have her pick. Books r also good, pretty pics to look at. U can buy books that read the story as u turn the pages. My DD loves to take her fake foods & put them into bowls & stir them up. I guess anything that interests her in a spot shes comfy would most likely work. I hope she heals up quickly so she can get back to working on walking!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• do your house work while shes asleep at night
    put on music and pick her up and dance with her
    bubbles
    peek a boo
    a book
    thats all I can come up with that gets you about 15 minutes of entertainment :( sorry
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• ask others to stop by and help you out with entertaining her
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 9:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Maybe get a bunch of little containers and put different things in them, and let her explore each one. I know whenever I give my 10-month-old son anything in a container, he'll pick it up, observe it, shake it, and just try to get it open. I know they get pretty bored easily, but it's always worth a try.

I'm so sorry about your DD.
    Anonymous

• all of the above, adn if you get really desperate and have to turn on the tv, the little einstein dvd's are great- eye catching and really educational.
    annelebar

Answer by annelebar at 10:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2009