Is it possible that I am working out too much?

I have been working out since Jan. and was feeling pretty good about it but recently it is like I am getting wider looking through my butt and thigh area and around my love handles. I do 30 min. cardio along with weight machines at least 3 days a week but usually 4 days. I alternate leg and arms workout. Should I do more cardio and less weights? It is getting depressing! I don't even look or feel toned!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• It's possible fact that muscle weighs more than fat. If you aren't cutting down/out certain things in your diet you will actually get bigger. Your exercise seems fine, maybe it's your diet.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I feel that nutrition is 70% of the equation. Start writing your foods down and see what's going on there?
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 12:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Most Americans who are overweight are overweight because of poor eating habits, not because of a lack of exercise. You may need to change the way you eat, not just for yourself, but to set a great example for your kids.
    First, drink your water! At least 8 8oz glasses a day. Add a glass for every beverage you have with caffeine or alcohol
    Next, eat your fruits and veggies; 7-8 servings a day, in at least 3 different colors. Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Start replacing your white/simple grains (white rice, white pasta, white bread, you get the picture) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, barley, quinoa, whole grain bread, etc.).
    Now cut way back on (or eliminate) meat and dairy. Eat at least one serving of legumes a day: beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    Eating healthy, combined with the great exercise that you are doing, will have you at a healthy weight in no time.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I don't lift weights because I'm afraid I'm going to strain a muscles,so if I were I wouldn't do it everyday, maybe 3 times a week,m,w, and friday, to take it slow because it takes time to build muscles and to burn fat and you don't want to burn out on this.The rest of the week eat healthy,get plenty of rest and stay active.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 2:45 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• make sure ur eating habbits r up to par with ur workout regiment very important. it sounds like ur doing all the right steps to toning ur bod make sure u do abs everyday also or if u work em real hard do them everyother day. keep up the good work make sure what u eat is healthy cuz what u do in the gym is only 15% of ur goal 75% is what u eat good luck
    tinkerbellma21

Answer by tinkerbellma21 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2009