Naked Baby!

My two and a half year old won't stop stripping naked before bed and I don't know what to do. He does the old, "I want my diaper!!" crying-trick, but when I try to put it on him, he gets obstinant and fights me. Then the second I walk away, he cries "my diaper!!" again. It's making me crazy. He's not potty-trained yet, as he shows no interest in the toilet. This is him simply wanting to be naked. I have tried to see if hes hot, but he wants his blanket on him still, and says hes cool. I even tried a different brand of diaper. I just have no idea. I really don't want him peeing or pooping in his bed, but is that the only way he'll learn???

MamaTeja

Asked by MamaTeja at 10:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he's old enough to be asking for a diaper and playing tricks, he is totally messing with you (and he sounds incredibly smart by the way!). Make him train during the day, make him wear a diaper at night. Buy him pull ups and make a big deal about it, make a big deal about the potty training too and tell him that when he learns to do this he can sleep without a diaper.
    But yeah, he's totally working you and you are going to have to put your foot down, absolutely not. Be very firm and don't show your frustration, very matter of factly give him a choice - diaper or pull up, but he has to do one or the other. Good Luck!
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Besides the problem of the bed being soiled, being a boy, he'd spray pee all over, so that really is a problem. Otherwise I'd be inclined to just let him try sleeping in his mess so that he'd understand the problem. We kept diapers on the children until they were dry at night.

Answer by Bmat at 10:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• maybe try pullups? they look alight like boys tightywhities with designs and are pretty strong!! and they come in different strengths for different ages and amount of pee. Good luck, he sounds so cute!!!!!
    Anonymous

• As long as you let him tell you what to do, he will keep doing it. I definately think it's time to start potty training. Let him pick out his new "big boy underwear" and use pull-ups at night. If he takes them off, just put them back on him, without discussion. (even if you have to do it 10 times!) He will eventually realize that he won't "win". Although, I do think the naked thing is just a phase, both of my daughters went through it.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• i don't know about any pull up thing or what not i recommend a onesie or putting on the diaper tabs backwards but do not do what the first ladie recommended! ick!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2009