How many words excluding mama and dada should a 15 mo. old be saying?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It depends on the child. I think at my kid's 18 months check up they always asked if they said at least 10 words. I work in a one year old room and they all talk at different rates. It is amazing how different it can be.
    Anonymous

• My 19 month old daughter says too many words to count. She knows the entire alphabet, she sings the song with me, recognizes the letters, counts 1 to 10 and recognizes the numbers, knows some colors, shapes and animals...She repeats everything we say and understands so much more. Since she was 14 months old, she says body parts and points to where they are. She has communicated with us really well since then. Her pediatrician says she's advanced for her age. So, I believe the "average" 15 month old should say at least 10 words...but, really...no one can tell you how many words your child "should" say. Every child learns in different paces. Don't worry...if you have any concerns talk to your pediatrician and maybe see a speech therapist (if you believe your child needs it). Good luck. Enjoy your baby!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• it varies greatly. I would say if they are saying mama and dada and seem to understand some simple things you say, they are fine.
    my youngest if 15 months now and he says mama, dada, plus some version of up, out, cup, door, eat, and maybe afew more plus he has names for his brother and sister.
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• 15 months? 2 or 3 beyond Mama and Dada.
    By 18 months, he should have 10 to 20. Some have lots more but less than 10 may indicate a problem at that point.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-13-to-18-months_1496589.bc
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My daughter is 14 months and she talks up a storm...but most of it sounds like another language! LOL and most of the other words she says only i really understand because i am with her 24/7. She also mainly uses the first couple letters. like she says DAAAAA for dadda, and she calls me mimi most of the time sometimes i get MAAAA. and she says bel for our dog bela and bbbbb for our puppy boo. and DDDD for her aunt deana. and down sound like a different word but i know she is saying it because she says the same thing every time. so i would guess at 15 months they should or can be saying any amount! I wouldnt worry unless the speach does not progress from here on out. I watch a 2.5 year old who just started saying about 50 words within the last 6 months. before that she didnt even say my name and i have watched her since she was 3 months old every day but sat and sun!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 8:29 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Each child is different. My middle kid hardly said any words other that mama and dada until about 20 months. Then one day out of nowhere - came "chocolate". And she hasn't stopped talking since!
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 9:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2009