? for co-sleepers, when did you know it was time to move LO to their own crib/bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• when she woke up in the middle of the night and headbutted me. She wanted me to get up and play with her! After that, she went in her own room
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My DS is 10 months & he's been sleeping w/ me since birth. I am going to work on his room once we move. I woke up to him standing up, looking over me one morning. It was a bit creepy and endearing at the same time.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• We're still co sleeping, she's 9 months. I think she'll let me know when she's ready.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I was pregnant with #2, and knew there wouldn't be enough room for one more. My oldest was a little over a year old. He was used to napping in his crib, so it wasn't too much of a problem.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• When my son said he wanted to sleep in his own room, which was when we moved shortly before he turned 4. He still sleeps in my bed sometimes, and sometimes in his room. I have an open door policy - he just has to follow the rules and settle down.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Well, whether or not my daughter was "ready" to stop co-sleeping, I bought her a mini crib when she was 5 + 1/2 months old. It was becoming unsafe for her to sleep in my bed. She was rolling a lot, and would nestle in my armpit! I would wake up to find her face pressed against my body, and it scared me so bad. I didn't sleep well AT ALL while she was sleeping with me. I put her in a crib for her safety. That's why we are called "parents". It's our responsibility to keep our babies safe. It would have been nice to co-sleep for a longer period of time, but I would rather that she sleep safely in a crib NEXT TO my bed than to sleep unsafely IN my bed.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• Usually, it is by your own feelings. Chances are, if you wait until you feel your baby is ready, they will be in preschool...lol.
    My son is one, has co slept with us since birth. Just in the last few months we have started always rocking him to sleep, putting him in his own crib first and then if he wakes up and wont go back to sleep by rocking, we bring him back to bed with us. He sleeps a little more in his crib every night. :)
    Good Luck!
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• My nearly 2 yr old is still sleeping w/ me. I'm thinking of surprising her with a Dora toddler bed for her birthday in October. We'll see how it goes, but I won't push it. I'm only considering it cause it's cheaper than a bigger bed. The 3 of us need more space and she's only getting bigger. I figure she'll go when she's ready. I don't care if it's not til preschool.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:24 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• By the time my son was about 7 months old he was too squirmy for it to be comfortable anymore. He moved to a bedside sleeper and then shortly after to his crib. He has done fine with it. He is now 22 months and in a toddler bed (in his own room). He loves his independence, but sometimes I wish he would still want to be cuddled at night.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• when daddy got kicked out of the bed because baby would scream at him in the middle of the night!!!
    sunshine_baby86

Answer by sunshine_baby86 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2009