House Shopping??

SO my husband and I are going to start looking to buy a house. How do we even start? Do you have to get a realtor? any tips on finding the perfect house
Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Shopping

• I found ours last year by googling houses for sale in my town. It will bring up a list of houses that realtors have listed, but depending on the amount of legwork you are willing to do, you can find a home for sale by owner that is willing to finance. Good Luck!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 10:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I would start with a realtor, they have first time home owners programs I would research a good one in your town
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• I would start buy first knowing your price range. Using a mortgage calculator online, then going to the websites and looking at house in your price range to see what you're looking for. Once you have a good idea go see a realtor. If you are going to get new construction, they will provide you with everything you need from start to finish. I went that route when I bought my first home, but you can move in quicker if you go with a used home. Plus get more savings.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 11:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• congratulations.
    you cant change the school systems but you can change the house, so only look for a house in a great school system so youll always be able to resell.
    buy the cheapest house in the best neighborhood or section that you can afford, never buy the most expensive home in the neighborhood it continually decreases in value as others go up.
    consider what it will cost you to own the home versus the initial cost. sometimes the cheaper homes cost more to own in utility costs, repairs and maintenance.
    the list is so long i could go on and on, finally get an inspection after your offer is accepted while you have a standing contingency awaiting inspection results. if you still want the house after inspection deduct all costs the inspector gives you for repairs from your previous offer and resubmit firmly and wait to see what the sellers do.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Once you decide on the neighborhood, walk around looking for For Sale signs. Check your local paper for open houses. Look at several houses to get an idea of what you like. We looked for 3 years before finding the right house in the right neighborhood at the right price.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:11 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• We bought ours privately from the sellers. They had placed an ad in the paper, we called and asked to see the house. We made an offer the next day and we got a generic contract from an office supply store that we all signed and we signed it with the stipulation "pending financing" because we hadn't secured financing. Then we went to a mortgage broker who found us the best deal. From there the mortgage broker set everything else up. She set up all the inspections and the appointment for closing at the title company etc. So that is another route that you can take instead of paying a realtor thousands of dollars in fees. Now of course we did have to pay the mortgage broker, but her charge was 1% of the house and a realtor charges around 6%. But I thought the mort broker was more valuable to me because she got us financed too.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2009