DONE BREASTFEEDING.

MY GOAL WITH THIS BABY WAS 6 MONTHS. WELL LIV IS TURNING 6 MONTHS TOMORROW, AND IM READY TO BE DONE WITH IT. I DONT KNOW HOW TO GET HER TO START LIKING FORMULA. ANY IDEAS? I HEARD GOOD START IS AS CLOSE TO BREASTMILK AS YOU CAN GET. THANKS

Eva_mommy06

Asked by Eva_mommy06 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My friend is switching out one bottle a day for a couple of day and then doing two bottles a day for a couple of days and so on. She says it is working out fine.
    Anonymous

• Why not just keep breastfeeding? Youve come this far, why not just keep going? Trust me, it just gets easier and easier. Its a great gift to give your baby and why not just let her find nourishment and comfort in your breasts while still young?
    My daughter will be 9 months on the 14th and is still EBF. I much prefer nursing an older baby to a younger one. Its sweeter in a way.
    Kelleysunshine

Answer by Kelleysunshine at 11:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2009

• You have made it so far, just a few more months and you won't have to buy formula or deal with switching to something that may cause baby discomfort. Hang in there! You can do it! Look into baby's eyes and I am sure you will see the love, bonding, nutrition, antibodies, future protection from so much, etc. she gets from breastfeeding. It is such a small amount of time that has such a big impact on the future. You are doing great! Keep on keeping on mom!  YOU CAN DO IT!!

Anonymous

• THIS MAY SOUNDS STUPIOD, BUT I AFRAID OF GETTING BIT.
    Eva_mommy06

Answer by Eva_mommy06 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Being afraid of getting bit is not stupid! It's a perfectly rational fear. I can't guarantee you that it won't happen, but there are MANY tips and tricks to discourage biting should it ever happen. I've only been bitten once. So long as you take action immediately if it occurs, you'll succeed! You can do it mama!

Here is a very popular link for dealing with biting:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I encourage you to press on, even with your fear. My 10 1/2 month old is still nursing strong, and he's nipped me a couple of times, but I made it VERY clear that biting is not okay, and he got it. He started crying when I yelped. Just yell "OUCH" and remove her from your breast. kellymom.com is a GREAT website, and has a lot of resources for breastfeeding. Save yourself the money on formula (and any regret later for stopping) and keep it up! I agree that nursing an older baby is more fun. My son and I play a bit while he nurses. Toward the end, he likes to play with my mouth with his hand, and make my lips do that bbbb sound, and I can see his eyes smile, then I hear a giggle. It's the cutest thing ever!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• So you are going to start buying expensive formula and giving your child something that is not any where near as good as breast milk because of the small chance you will get bit? Okay so I can understand that fear, but that is a ridiculous reason to stop nursing.

Not all children bite and when they do they just need to be taught that it is not allowed. With my kids I pulled them INTO my breast which associated something bad happening to them and also made them open their mouth. The first bit ONCE and never did it again and the second bit TWICE and never did it again. While it hurt as they did it there was no lasting pain from it. The WHO and AAP both recommend AT LEAST 2 years of breast milk and it is so worth it in my book. My first weaned during my pregnancy at about 18 months and the second is still going at 25 months!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:15 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I want to encourage you to continue breastfeeding, it will only get easier from now on and you wont have to go out and buy bottles and formula! There are a lot of things you can do to prevent biting (the link one of the other posters gave you) and it is the best possible nutrition you could give to your baby!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:00 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Theres no such thing as "As close to breastmilk as you can get"...breastmilk has hundred of things in it such as growth hormones and immunities that CAN NOT be duplicated by science. ALso formula has TONS of badly absorbed and inferior products in it, some of which are actually hazardous...hexane is a cancer causeing chemical used to extra DHA and ARA from fungus and alage, its not been approved for use in infant foods or formulas but it hasn't been banned so they can use it...oh and the fake DHA and ARA aren't proven to work like human DHA and ARA. FOrmula is nasty tasting and the ingredients in it are nasty, it much better than starving your child but still its nasty.

YOu have made it SOO long, a fear of teeth before there is even and issue....don't worry my son is 26.5 months and has ALL of his teeth, I don't get bit, I taught him not to after the first bite....if they bite they aren't sucking..they can't do both
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I have been bitten but I would never quit because of it! There are ways to teach them not to! And like someone else said they can't bite if they're sucking! :)
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 7:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2009