How do I know if I am spending enough quality time with my kids?

I have 4 kids, 8,7,3, and 2. Some days it feels like all my kids are begging for attention all at the same time and it is the day that I am so tired. My boyfriend lives with us, but doesn't do really anything to help out around the house or with the kids. He is always sending the kids upstairs because they make to much noise downstairs. The older two kids are always complaining that they are bored. They will watch tv for a while, play outside for a while, play on the computer for a while, but yet they are bored all the time. What kinds of things can I do with all of the kids when there is such an age difference. My 2 year old takes a nap for an hour (if I am lucky), but when he hears the kids playing or laughing it wakes him up then he is crabby, and my 3 year old sometimes takes a nap, but not till late, by then my boyfriend is home from work. Any suggestions? Thanks

momof4greatkidz

Asked by momof4greatkidz at 12:06 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Get everyone involved in a game or activity. I think if kids have your FULL attention for a short period of time, they are more apt to then play on their own etc cuz they got their need met. If you give them part or none of your attention, they spend the rest of the time trying to get it. Tell them you will do an activity together (while the baby is nappin), then they will need to play on their own. Here are some ideas of activities http://www.cjkidz.com/Summerfun.html  Take turns as to who picks the activity.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 12:30 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You know you're spending enough quality time when they kids tell you to go away! And that will be happening with the eight year old shortly...mine is almost ten and he does it to us!

Games are GREAT for the older kids. Even hide and seek...all of them can participate. Let the little ones help you seek for the older ones.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:19 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• If your kids are asking for your attention, they need your attention. If your BF doesn't like the noise, send HIM upstairs. IMO, kids come first.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:45 AM on Jul. 9, 2009