Teacher's Assistants

I am thinking that after we have our 2nd child, (which right now we are TTC) I would like to work at a school as a Teacher's assisstant. Well it won't be till that child starts school. I will stay home with them till then. So I was wondering if you like what you do? Did you go to college or just take ATAS and get certified. I know that this may be different in every state. I was just looking for some input. I didn't know if I should take the Teahers Assisstant pathway and get the 18 credits or just take the test and get certified? I just figured the more education I have the better I would be and the better pay. I also don't want to work with children older than 3rd grade. So I'm hoping to stay with the kids in K - 3rd grade. So I didn't know what the exact level that would be. So please, any information would be helpful!!!

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am an EA (educational assistant) and I love it!!! I work with special needs kids at the high school level so it's different from what you want to do, but I can't imagine working with regular program kids. I have no extra education beyond high school (and some general credits from university before I dropped out) so I can't counsel you on that, but for a mom, it is an ideal job. We work when the kids are in school, have weekends and all school holidays off. Our pay scale here is based on who you work with. I work in lifeskills so I'm at the top of the pay scale, general EA's make less, lunch room attendants even less. So here, no matter if you had more education, if you worked as a general EA you'd make less than I do as a lifeskills EA. The difference is because as part of my job description I may have to do physio, speech therapy, toilet or do diapers, things that a general EA working with "normal" kids doesn't do.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:27 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Check witth you local board of education.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I worked as a "community school assistant" for 7 1/2 years, and loved almost every minute of it. After I was hired, our school district changed the criteria to be hired. I was in school at the time, but they changed it to where you had to have so many credits to even be considered. And more credits doesn't necessarilymean more money. Many school districts have a set amount that they will pay for TA's and that's it. I would check with your local school district and see what their requirements are. Being a TA is fun, and very rewarding. I loved the kids I worked with.

lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 10:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2009