What if you DON'T gain enough weight during pregnancy??

I am 23 weeks and have gained NOTHING. I'm really scared for my baby, i look at all the charts and according to them by the time i reach 27 weeks i should gain at least 15 pounds.
i weighed 135 at conception, lost 7 pounds during the first trimester due to wicked morning sickness. at my 20 week appointment i weighed 129.
i eat like a horse, and it is good stuff too.. with a little junk but mostly stick to what the charts say for servings of everything. i do prenatal yoga 3 times a week and a don't walk anymore than normal. drink plently of water and milk, juice.. i do everything the doctor says to do. morning sickness ended at 13 weeks.
i take my prenatal vitamin daily.
doctors say everything is okay, no reason to freak yet. at 20 weeks i had the anatomy ultrasound which showed my baby weighs about 11 ounces and everything is healthy. but i'm still worried.

do you know any reason i shouldn't be gaining yet???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you are one of the lucky ones I gained 60 pounds with my last one
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:36 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Ok my last pregnancy with my daughter who is now over 6 months old, I never gained a pound until the last week she was due, I gained 3 pounds and she was born at 38 weeks a full 6 pounds 1 ounce healthy. Sometimes just because you don't gain weight doesn't mean anything just make sure you are taking care of your body and doing the right thing -I hope I helped

JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 12:37 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I lost 25 lbs when I first started my pregnancy. I am 21 weeks now and I have only gained 6 back and my baby is as healthy as a horse in his little water bed tummy! EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! you will gain some soon if your at all worried, talk to your doctor about your concerns.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:49 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You see the show on TLC and on Discovery Health called "I didnt know I was pregnant" amd most of them gained little to no weight. Even though some of those women were a little fluffy, there was a 16 year old cheerleader on there who ran track every day and did gymnastics and tumbbling and she had no idea she was pregnant! All of their babies are fine except for the fact that the babies have no prenatle care.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I didn't gain enough weight and my son suffered. It wasn't for lack of trying either. I ate plenty. There was something wrong with my placenta though and he wasn't getting the nutrients. Basically I ate the right amount, but still only gained 20 lbs. that was mostly due to being put on bed rest to force me to gain weight. I had gained 8 lbs by 20 weeks, 13 lbs by 32 weeks, and the rest after going on bed rest eating all day. My son was born full term 39 weeks 2 days but only weighed 5 lbs 4 oz. We are not tiny people. I was nearly 9 lbs at birth and DH was 8 lbs. We are both average size people. Not saying this will happen to you but you asked so I thought I'd share. The most important factor is how you are measuring and how the baby measures on ultrasound. At 20 weeks my son was 1 week "behind", but 35 weeks he was a full 4 weeks behind. I measured small by a couple weeks with the tape measure.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:01 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• as long as your doc says baby is healthy, then no worries. I am 13 weeks and have only lost so far. of course I started out a little over my ideal weight so it's not as big of a deal. I know weight gain can be an issue if you are a very small person because the baby doesn't get enough nourishment. But trust your doc. as long as they say everything is ok, then everything is ok.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I gained over 70 lbs with my first.
    14 lbs with my second
    13 lbs with my third.
    I am currently 27 weeks and have gained 3.
    Nothing to really worry about in most cases.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• There are several reasons that you might not be gaining:
    you are eating healthier than you did before you were prego
    you were a little over weight before prego so the baby is fine with your reserves
    you are not drinking and did before

If the doc says you are fine...then don't stress it. Most people gain too much weight which is more unhealthy than not gaining.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 1:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• At my peak of weight loss, I had lost over 20 pounds with my youngest daughter. I didn't gain a single solitary pound until I was 7 months pregnant. When the baby finally started packing on the pounds, my weight gain increased. She was born at 38 weeks, 4 days. I gained around 20 pounds, and a little less than half of that was pure water retention. By the time she was 2 weeks old, I was 5 pounds under my pre-preg weight (thank you BFing!). So long as your doc says that your baby is healthy, count your lucky stars lady!

As a side note, even if weight gain is slow, the most important part is that the weight you are gaining is HEALTHY.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:09 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Sounds like me.... i weighed 123 when I got pregnant and lost 10 pounds. I had HORRIBLE morning sickness and couldn't keep anything down. It finally went away when I first saw her, and i could eat normally. I did the same as you and ate healthy things just cuz I felt like eating that instead! By the end, I was at 136 but didn't start really gaining weight until later on in the pregnancy. She was healthy! The ONLY problem was she was breech so I had an emergency c section after my water broke at 38 weeks. She was 6 lbs, 4 ozs... healthy and alert!

You will start gaining soon but you won't gain a lot! Just keep eating healthy and taking those prenatals! You and baby will do fine!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:24 AM on Jul. 9, 2009