What is EFW, BPD and AFP on an Ultrasound requisition?

Does anyone know what these acronyms are? I have a Ultrasound scheduled for July 24 at 30 weeks gestation.

The doc said that she noticed some anomalies during reg. checkup. (she is head of Obstetrics at the hospital and takes quick "peeks" at the baby with u/s machine) However previous testings have all indicated negative.

Can anyone put my mind at ease?

summerluvin_ca

Asked by summerluvin_ca at 12:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• EFW- Estimated fetal weight
    AFP- Alpha Fetal Protein?
    BPD-Biparietal diameter (checking the diameter of baby's skull). The AFP is the blood test that checks for certain issues. It sounds like she may be concerned with IUGR, which is what my baby had. Causes the baby to not grow properly, usually due to a placental insufficiency. My son was born 3 days before my due date weighing 5 lbs 4 oz. It basically means they don't get enough nutrients during pregnancy. Some babies are delivered early because of this. It can be serious, but more often than not the issue is resolved as soon as baby is delivered. I'm sure this didn't ease your mind but really at this point there's nothing to worry about- she's just playing safe, you know?
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I wanted to reply back last night....thank you soooo much for your explanation. Believe it or not, it really did ease my mind. Of course we always think of the worse case scenario when we hear things but your answer allowed me to relax. thanks again!
    summerluvin_ca

Answer by summerluvin_ca at 4:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• you are welcome. been there! :-)
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 8:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2009