What is a better value?

To buy a used car from a dealer OR to buy a brand new car?

used cars have possible maintnance problems BUT new cars lose their vaule as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think the better value is the one you can afford. New cars can end up with maintenance problems, too, it's not as likely but it can happen. Plus (and I've never owned a new car, so this is what others tell me) if you don't take it in to the dealer for tune ups, oil changes, etc., it can void your warranty, and they charge you for all those things you bring it in for. Also, you have to have more insurance on a brand new car, so that costs you more. I just buy used cars, ones I can pay for outright (when I have the money), so that I have no car payment and can get the insurance that I need and can afford (covering accidents, damage, etc., as opposed to full comprehensive coverage).
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:49 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Well with a used car, you don't know exactly what may have happened to the car in the past. A new car has a warranty and is of course brand new. But once you buy a car, the value IMMEDIATELY decreases once it is now considered a 'used car' I would opt for a newer used car, but thats just me.
    MissAndrea125

Answer by MissAndrea125 at 1:00 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Oh I answered that without even seeing the bottom of your post lol I'm no help :)
    MissAndrea125

• I bought a Ford Bronco cuz I always wanted one and my hubby can work on them so we save money that way
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:02 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Buying a used car that is one or two years old is probably the best way to go if you can afford it. If the car has any issues, they have already revealed themselves and been dealt with, but it will still have a warranty. It has already depreciated the biggest chunk that it will depreciate in one time (about 40-50%). Yet it is still a new car......So you get it at about half the retail and there should be no major repairs in the near future.
    I bought my SUV in 2004, it was a 2003 model, and a lease return. It looked brand new. The new models were selling for $28k and I bought mine for $15k. I have had it for 5 years and (knock on wood) I haven't had a single problem with it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I remember reading an article a few years ago that said that if you by a 2 year old car every 3 years you will save $150,000.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• thats what my mechanic says, new cars are rip offs, you can get cars certified used, guaranteed etc..
    Anonymous

• I would never buy a new car, if you get one that's 2-3 years old, you will get just as many years out of it, it still has all the good stuff, BUT you won't have to pay that extra $10K

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I bought a new car in 1998 and I'm still driving it. I think how long you plan to own it is a very improtatn factor.
    Anonymous