My 7 year old son won't sleep lately!

I wasn't sure if he was manipulating me or what. One night I laid with him, massaged his back, etc. and he finally fell asleep after 1:30 am! Then last night I got tough with him and told him to just go to sleep and I checked on him at 1 and he was asleep. Tonight, it is 1 and he was just up and he just didn't seem tired at all. He had no caffiene today, no tv, no video games, had gymnastics class, and read for about 1/2 hour before bed and he still doesn't seem tired! I layed a warm herbal pack on his belly, hoping the warmth and scents will get him to sleep. We can't do this all summer. I read online to let him read by flashlight as long as he wants until he falls asleep. What do you think of that? Then he would get tons of reading done over the summer and still give me a bit of quite time in the evening. Any other tips?

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was always like this as a kid.. I've always been a night owl. It was hell getting up the morning, and I've stayed that way right up until present day.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Maybe try an earlier bed time. He may be staying up too late because he"caught his second wind". If you are concerned that he is not getting enough sleep, you can give him melatonin. It's a chemical that the body makes to put us to sleep. You can buy it OTC at walmart.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:06 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Should I let him read at night as long as he wants? He needs to be in bed by 9 or 10 so me and my DH can have some time together but I don't want him laying in there tossing and turning all night. It doesn't too much matter what time he falls asleep right now since he doesn't have to get up for school. During the school year we occasionally have this problem, but not as bad because he is exhausted from getting up at 645
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I think letting him read is a great idea! I let my daughter do that, she's 6 but she doesn't have a problem falling asleep. She's in bed by 8:30 and asleep by 9:30 or 10. Sometimes I find her playing with her stuffed animals or dolls but as long as she's quiet and resting it works for me!
    CeeJay30

Answer by CeeJay30 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2009