why does my 5 month old cry for over an hour when its time to go to bed??

i've tried everything to get him to sleep rockin him, sing to him, reading, rubbing his back, feeding him, and just letting him cry. he's also gotten to where he sleeps alot during the day but only for about 30 min at a time each time. Once he goes to sleep at night he's fine til the next morning , it's just getting him to sleep that's the problem.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe he's just not ready for bed? If he is sleeping a lot during the day then he might need a later bedtime, or try to cut down his naps to no more than 3 a day. I would try a later bedtime first. Good Luck!
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Actually, I was thinking. Maybe he is overtired like a I said and that's why he cries so much. I would FIRST try an earlier bedtime because if a baby is overtired it is MUCH harder to get them to sleep. I did notice my DD (now 9 months) needs to go to bed around 730-8pm or it's MUCH harder to get her down after 8pm.
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 1:13 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• He may be teething, which could last for several months - maybe less, maybe more.
    You can try rubbing baby orajel on his gums, front and back - if he starts to gnaw on your finger while it is in his mouth then give him a wet baby washcloth for him to chew on. Just wet it, wring it out, and roll it up to fit into his mouth.
    Babies sleeping patterns change throughout the first year so you may want to try keeping him up longer even when he's rubbing his eyes. Perhaps let him sit in his swing with something to play with or take him for a walk in his stroller if it's not too hot and humid. Even a bath would feel good to him. The idea is to keep the activities low key so if he does end up falling asleep he won't be trying to calm himself from being wound up from overstimulation.
    Best wishes to you - my 5 month old granddaughter is doing the same thing. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• thank you both so much for your replies
    edrsmom09

Answer by edrsmom09 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2009