How to stop my Toddler from a messy tantrum?

A messy tantrum as SHE gets angry and starts throwing stuffs,tearing toys off shelves and screamingggg. How and what could I do? She is 2! Please respond if you have had a similar situation. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I must be looking in a mirror!
    I have 2 year old that has tantrums too!
    when out people will ask me "what is wrong with her" I respond "she is 2"
    she is beyond redirecting at this point and I let her express herself in a safe place
    she has started to bang her head with them (her dad did this when he was little)
    I talk to her in a calm voice over and over that everything is fine (but this may help me more than her) I do not give her too much attention maybe she will outgrow quicker when she does not get a reward for the tantrums
    what do you do
    any help is appreciated and just knowing that others are going through the same situation helps
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I count until 3 if if he does not stop He knows mommy ( me ) will put him in Time Out and sometimes I just ignore him because when they do that, is because they want your attention. But when you ignore them, you are showing them that what they are doing is not getting your attention at all .
    But also depends where your toddler is doing the tantrum if it is an a public place you can not ignore her but you can do your counting and give her after you said 3 a punishment according the place where she is at or you take her to your car and wait for her to finish with her drama and if she keeps the drama then I would spank but not everybody likes spank so is up to you until where you will allow her to do.
    Hope this help : - )
    Vero529

Answer by Vero529 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Sometimes all you can do besides intervening BEFORE the meltdown is holding her on your lap until she agrees to calm down or does calm down. Prevention is best... but it's not always possible. When my son gets a little too physical and starts freaking out, I have to hold him. There's a restraint hold you can use on toddlers that completely immobilizes them... but it should only be used if they're going to hurt themselves. If she's just making a mess, simply hold her on your lap until she's 'done'. If you can't do this, make her help you pick up after the tantrum is over and she may be less likely to want to make a mess next time.
    Llamatron

Answer by Llamatron at 3:00 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Move her to an area that she cannot reach items to throw them or tear them up and that she cannot hurt herself. Then let her have her fit. This is of course if she is at home. If you are out in a store, take her from the store to the car and have her sit until she calms down. Try to say very little to her during the fit, except occasionally say calming words or praise her when she is calming down.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• another thought
    just this morning she was having a tantrums, we had no idea why... I took out one of her favorite toys that I keep aside. It is a box of foam shapes. I don't keep it out because she still will month things once in a while when I am not looking and honestly if it was available to her 24/7 the box of shapes would be scattered everywhere. So having a few things not avaiable, things that they really like works. I took out the box and showed her by starting to play with them and trying to ignore her tantrum, she came over in a few moments, this was more fun then throwing herself on the floor and screaming
    you are not alone and neither am I
    I will think of you when Isabel has her next one
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Pick a room in the house (w/ door) and designate that to be the room your child can have tantrums in.

Remove all potentially dangerous objects, breakable objects, etc. Keep the room as bare as possible.

Whenever your child has a tantrum, put them in that room and shut the door.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 1:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2009