Car ride over 1500 miles with a newborn?

I live with my mom and Im due in November. we live in Texas and she wants to take a road trip in a car to Michigan with me, my newborn son, her, her boyfriend, my sister and my brother. So we can see the rest of the family. Ok bad idea or good?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 1:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would also consider as a mom of a child who struggled with a misshaped head, you really ought to keep the baby's head from sitting on the hard surface of a carseat for too long. My son's issues were mostly from how he was positioned in utero but still something to consider. I would roll up a blanket into a roll kind of like how they come in the packages at the store and place it at the babies neck and see if that raises his or her head off of the back of the carrier. I haven't tried this but something to consider.

Amanda3983

Answer by Amanda3983 at 2:09 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• just make sure you pull the baby out once in a while so he/she can strech other then that I don't see why that would be a problem
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:19 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I'd rather do that with a newborn than a toddler! Mine mostly just slept and ate the whole time. Good luck.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:25 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It's fine, just make sure you stop often to let the baby stretch and for feedings and diaper changes.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Well, I just did a trip with my 2 month old son over 800 miles long. He slept most of the way. I think that if I had been able to sit in the back with him, like I am assuming you will be doing, it would have made things easier in the feeding department. At that age they mostly sleep so it should be fine, just make sure not to let a lot of people hold the child unless they wash up first, don't want the newborn getting sick. Have a fun trip.
    Qivarys

Answer by Qivarys at 1:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You;ll need to stop frequently, so expect the trip to take twice as long as usual.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:11 AM on Jul. 9, 2009