How to reverse my upbringing to lead a better adult life

Sort of a wierd quest. But, if I know what's right, but continue to act wrong, how do I erase my upbringing in my head, and act in a manner that I admire in so many people I look up to everyday?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• Act rightly based on those you admire, when you train your body and mind to change, you will.
    It's hard work but possible.
    Good luck to you on your difficult, but wonderfly rewarding life that you hold ahead of you.
    Remember that you will fall, and get a few scrapes along the way, but they help to shape you.

=)
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 2:09 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Imitation works. When you admire someone, do what they do.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I did it and am still doing it and its the hardest thing iv ever done. Once we are raised a certain way the cycle is so hard to break but it can be done I am living proof. With a hard up bringing we are going to fall and I mean fall alot but if you have good remodels and you know whats right from wrong than you can do it. I dont know if this will help you but I think back to all of the abuse, drinking, locked in bedrooms to closets to basements for hours to days ect., and remember how  I would never want to do those things to my children. I was off to a rough start when I had kids but kept remembering those things and how I felt so abandoned and abused and I have barley spanked my kids. I show my kids the love that I longed for as a child and if it wasent for some of those remodels in my life ( mainly GOD) I wouldent be the parent today that I am! We will all fall but God is there to help us! Good luck an God bless!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It's called Behavior Modification and you make little changes until you are the person you want to be. There are some good books on it. One of the best I read is an older book, quick read, called How to Fall Out of Love. I know the title isn't what your problem is but the skills the author teaches you for modifying your behavior toward a new and healthier goal is simple and works quite well. It's a paperback book and you can learn what you need to learn in the first few chapters so you don't even have to read the entire book! I bought mine online at www.abebooks.com for $1.00. I hear Amazon.com has them used as well.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:29 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Good question... I struggle with this issue everyday. My SO sometimes doesn't understand why I do the things I do, but he didn't have the greatest upbringing either. it's hard. I know right from wrong and I'm not a horrible person, but my issues have caused me to have issues nuturing and being in relationships of all kinds, even a mother. I really do want to go to counseling but it's not feasbable b/c I have no insurance and I for sure cannot pay out of pocket. Behavior Modification is a hard process, if you can't do it alone maybe go to a counselor or read books.
    Anonymous