Baby clothes

Does any baby ever wear baby clothes true to size? This has never happened in the 3 babies that I have. Right now, my DD is 3 months and she's in 6 months clothes. Why don't they make these baby clothes true to size?

mschanng

Asked by mschanng at 6:14 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know a few kids that wore clothes that corresponded with their age. My daughter hardly did at all. She came home in preemies, then a week later (maybe less) was in newborn. Then at about one month or two she started wearing 3months. Then she was in 6 months at around 3 or 4 months. Now she's 9 months and wearing anywhere from 12-18 months.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:27 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Different brands run differently, just like with adult clothes. Some brands are made for shorter, chunkier kids, others for longer, slimmer kids. What I wish is that rather than giving me a height and weight range, they'd give me some measurements. I really hate buying a cute outfit for my daughter, just to find out that the pants won't stay up and the shirt is too short.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• the only cloths my son wore true to size was his preemie and nb cloths and after that none of the right sizes fit right
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I have noticed that, too.
    It also depends on the growth of the child and the shrinkage of the clothing in the washer & dryer.
    My 5 month old granddaughter is in the 75th percentile for her length and is wearing 6-9 month old clothes. If we buy just the 6 month old sizes then they are too short, so they have to state 6-9 months on them for size.
    The other problem we have is when we have to buy her a larger size to accommodate her length, then the waist of pants, shorts, and the panties under dresses are too large. It's a never ending battle, but my daughter (her mom) was the same way - very tall and very thin - it was horrible buying clothes for her!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• my DD is 7 months and can wear premie shorts and skirts(just short!) and has to wear 6 month jeans for length but has to wear ribbon for a belt to hold them up! and then 9 month sleepers and 9 month onsies for length and shes 29 1/2 inches and 15 lbs
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 8:03 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• i never really went by the size it said on the tags. it was always either too big or too small. so i started just picking it up off the rack and holding it up and guessing from own opinion if it would fit or not. this also goes for diapers.
    Jmain8

Answer by Jmain8 at 8:30 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Technically they are true to size in most cases. The average baby should be around 7-8 lbs at birth so would fit a newborn outift. If you follow the average growth curve, most clothes do to. It's just that so many babies are different and have growth spurts at different times or are born larger or smaller than average.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• The three of mine NEVER wore clothes "true to size". Not even my 7 pounder. He never wore newborns, he went right into 0-3 months.

As they get older (toddler, preschool, school) it's getting closer.

My youngest was in 18 month clothes when he was 6 months. He is now 2 1/2 and is at the tail end of 3t sizes. (so not quite double his age now)

My second is 3 1/2 and is wearing 5T/boys 4.

My oldest is 5 and wearing boys 6/7.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:19 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Depending on my son's age he wears things true for his age. Right now he's nearly a year and is wearing alot of 12 months things... but some of his stuff is the next size up too. Just depends on what it is and the brand
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:32 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Oh yeah, and it's such a pain! We don't dry his clothes anymore, because they did seem to shrink quite a bit. My son is 10 months but has been in 12-18 month clothing since 6 months. A lot of the pants fit him but we have to get shirts that have buttons because his head is big. lol. Right now only 18 month shirts will actually fit over his head without buttons, and that's cutting it close.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jul. 9, 2009