Do 3 year olds get growing pains?

My 3 year old is always complaining about her leg or foot hurting. I will check and nothing is tender to the touch and there is no obvious evidence of anything being wrong. She mostly does this when she's tired, and she will wail like someone is killing her. On occassion she'll wake up at night doing it. I honestly don't remember ever having growing pains myself, so I don't know how early something like that might start. I'll probably call the pediatrician's office today to talk to the nurse about it, but I'm just curious if anyone has ever experienced this with their kids.

Silvertears1275

Asked by Silvertears1275 at 7:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Growing pains can happen any time over the next 5 or 6 years. My kids had them up until they were about 10-12 every now and again.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:46 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Yep, mine gets them too. I just rub her legs or give her a warm bath that seems to help some. If they are really bad and make her cry I give her a little tylenol.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My son will be 3 in just a couple weeks. He has been getting growning pains since he was about a year old. He will just wake up screaming and grabbing at his legs or feet. The doctor told me that it is normal and that some kids get them more often than others. I try to rub his legs/feet when he tells me they hurt but if that doesn't help then we try a warm bath and some motrun for the pain. I got them a lot growing up and still to this day get horrible muscle cramps at night if I move just right.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 5:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2009