How do you divide chores evenly in your household?

I am looking to create a system such as a chore chart to divide the chores more evenly in our house. How does your system work? What jobs are yours, hubby's and the kids? (My daughters are 4 and almost 1)

Any advice you have or examples would be great! Thanks!

momtokate

Asked by momtokate at 8:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• lol i dont i do everything or it wotn get done right lol
    but with my son before i met my husband he would have his chore chart and he would take the trash out every other day vaccum his room everyday pick up his toys
    when he did do what his chorse said he would get asticker onhis chart when he got to the end of the row he got a special trreat
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:45 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I personally don't like the reward system but I know it works. I should implement that... but we make the kids vacumm the house, fold the clothes, and feed the dogs. they are 7yo
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 8:46 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I'm a SAHM, so I do more chores than my dh. For my kids, we have a chore chart and the kids get stickers for the ones they've done as they complete them. My kids are older and starting to get out of the sticker phase, but it helps us keep track of them and they get $$ (not a lot, but it used to be a dime for each sticker, we've revised that recently to an all/nothing with a set amount due to their ages - they're 7 and 9). My kids can do most chores now (they don't, we have a rotating chart where I switch around their chores so they get a chance to try and develop skills for all the household chores), but some past chores have been setting the table, wiping the table down after we eat, making their bed (when they were younger, just pulling the sheets up), washing the windows (mainly because my daughter LOVED to use the spray). In short, when they were younger it was more work because i usually still had to go behind them,

Answer by missanc at 8:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• but it's nice now. There are chore charts online, just google it - there are lots of ideas

Answer by missanc at 8:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I'm the only one in my house that doesn't work so I pretty much do everything.
    MomAt15woah

Answer by MomAt15woah at 9:08 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My kids don't have "chores". They keep their rooms neat, laundry in the baskets, grades high, and their jobs are done. My husband does what I ask him to do which is usually mow the lawn, or something like that. I do everything else. It's what a sahm does.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I'm laughing too.......there is no even in this house. I am having my kids, as they get older, do more to help out.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• We've finally gotten a system in place where it rotates all month, the first and fourth weeks are the same, that way when the month ends in the middle it's easy to pick up. Example: Monday is always the Bathroom (Yes, only 1 bathroom for the 5 of us!). Toilet/Knobs/Switches/Empty Garbage - BL; Counters/Shelves/Dust/Mirrors/Windows - BJ; Shower/Floor/Rug/Sort Laundry - LJ. Plus they have a chore for all week: Empty Dishwasher - BL; Fill Dishwasher - BJ; Handwash/Dry/Put Away - LJ. Tuesdays are LIVING/Dining Rooms; Wednesdays are Kitchen/Entry Way; Thursdays are Bedrooms; Fridays are Project days & ask for a paying job. We've been tweaking this schedule all Summer, so far it seems to be working pretty good for us.
    VeronicaW3769

Answer by VeronicaW3769 at 9:28 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• There's no division or system. Hubby works, I clean the house. DD is 6 mos old so no chores yet. And like a PP said, if I don't do it, it'll never get done!!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• There is no such thing as evenly. We do what has to be done when it has to be done. Sometimes someone has the lion's share and other times that person gets off with light duty. In the end, we make sure everyone understands life isn't fair and things aren't always "equal". We are part of a family and all that matters is that we all work to make sure the family runs smoothly and that doesn't involve the even distribution of chores.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 9, 2009