How horrible would it be to ask for my dog back?

So here is what happened - When I was about 7 months pregnant with my daughter my husband and I bought a pug for my dad. We were living with my parents and he loved her but she quickly became my dog. She was very stubborn and insitsted on going potty in the house. Finally about a week before my daughter was due I had her on a schedule and she was hardly ever going in the house any more and I was thrilled! I went over her excact schedule with my parents over and over again to make sure they had it down becuase the last thing we needed was for her to start going inside again. Well I ended up being in the hospital for 6 days after my emergency C-section and my parents had not followed the schedule at all (they tried but they are really busy) and sure enuogh my fear happened and she started going in the house again... We didn't have enough time to get her back on schedule before we moved and then moved two more times cont...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pets

• long story on the moving but we new it was coming and there was no way around it and one of the moves would have my husband and I and our new born in a hotel room for 2 months and we knew a pooping dog would not work with that. So we called up some family friends from church that we knew liked the dog a lot and asked if they could keep her. They came right over! They made it VERY clear that we could have her back when ever we wanted. But then 2 weeks later they changed her name. Anyways, that was amost excactly a year ago and we are finally settled, no more moving around, and I REALLY miss my dog!! i always did but its worse now that there is no reason why we couldn't have her. But I feel like it would be really rude to ask for her back now... we paid a LOT for her and just gave her to them but still... please no rude comments. I really need some advice here. I miss my Lexie! What would YOU do?? Thanks ladies.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 8:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• This is tough. You really just gave it away and even though they said they would give it back doesn't mean they have to. They are the ones who trained and cared for the dog probably vet bills too and now you want the dog back after it's been with them for awhile? Not fair IMO.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Well, I might mention it jokingly in passing and try to gauge their reaction. But after a year, I think its time to let the dog go. I know it sucks, but they've bonded with the dog by now and has a very loving and happy family. Or just be honest, say "I know the last time we talked about ___ you said that if we wanted him back to let you know. I am not assuming that that is still the case as its been so long, but I didn't want you to be upset if we looked for a new dog without asking to take him back." Then you are giving them the option and you are taking care of your former obligations to the dog.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 9:04 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Maybe if Lexi keeps pooping in their house, they won't want it anymore. Mention to them that if the dog ever becomes too much of a hastle, to give her back.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:09 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• She's not your dog anymore, and has not been for a long time. They have cared for her and provided for her, and she knows them. Get a new dog. I don't mean to sound harsh, but you can't allow people to help you out for that amount of time, and think the dog is "yours." Lesli has a good idea, but really be prepared for them to tell you no---and then look into getting a new dog. I'd feel taken advantage of and used if you did this to me. Just, my opinion.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I think it would be wrong to take the dog back now after so long. Maybe you should get a new dog! There are plenty of them that need a great home! We are going to have to give ours up this week and I am not thrilled at all! But we are moving to a home that does not allow pets, and so she will have to go! I am sorry about your dog, but maybe you can offer another dog a home!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Oh man, that's rough.

I'd ask for her back, but expect a no...
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 11:05 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It doesn't sound like she is even your dog any more. The dog belongs to your parents now, they are who your dog knows as her "owners/family". I wouldn't ask for the dog. If I were you I would just find another dog.
    You could mention to your folks that if they ever deside to part with the dog, that you'd like her back.
    Anonymous

• Nope, not your dog anymore. Not to mention that it sounds like this dog has been nounced around a bit and probably would not benefit changing houses again. And a word of advice - adopt a dog from your local shelter, don't buy.
    Anonymous

• I have to agree...after a year in a new home, bonding with a new family, a new name, the whole shebang.....I'm really sorry, but I don't think that it would be fair to the new family OR the dog to ask for it back.

I also agree with the :08 anon.....please look into a shelter or rescue organization for pugs (or any other specific breed). With the way that the economy is right now and so many loosing their homes, there are many many pure breds and adorable mutts too that could really use your love right now.
    Anonymous