Epidural question

Is there any difference between the kind of epidural they give you for a c-section and the epidural they give you for a vaginal delivery? I had a bad reaction to the epidural with my first son (c-section) and am planning on trying for a vaginal delivery this time, but am worried about the epidural. I don't want to have the monster headache I did last time this time around. (the dr. said it didn't have anything to do with the epi, but i think that was crap.)

smltwnmom

Asked by smltwnmom at 8:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• there is no difference in epi... maybe in the strength of the dosage they give out. i had vaginal with both twins and single.. they give the same needle and stuff.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 9:01 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I had a horrible experiance with epidural... IM me and i will tell you the story if you want but lets just say that I will NEVER get an epidural again!!!!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:08 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• When I had my epidural they told me to let them know immediatly if I developed a headache becuase the epidural does something to some people that causes a headache and whatever it is can be very serious! I don't remember all the details but I remember the seriousness of it becuase the doc came in almost immediatly when I told the nurse my head hurt. But it wasn't from the epi it was just from being in bed so long (about 20 hours at that point). Anyways to answer your question, they are both the same but if you have a different doc this time just let them know about your previous experience and there might be a way to avoid that with the epi this time.... Good luck
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 9:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• there is no difference in epiderals, however i did have a really bad experience with it when i had my 2nd child in 1997. instead of it going down, it went up and i could not breathe i passed out 2 times and i could not breathe properly. i still felt contractions going through of of that and it was a nightmare! more happened and i have so much to right about it. anyways it is the only bad experience i had. i have had other epiderals after that and nothing happend, it worked like it was supoosed to. the only bad thing is the side effects that can last a very long time is headaches, migranes, and back pain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Ask your doctor. An epidural means medicine is put in the epidural part of your back, there are a variety of medications usually to take away pain so some can be milder than other, they are not all the same! The type you get for a c-section is stronger as you are being cut into as upposed to just blocking the pain during labor (yes both are very painful depending on you pain threshhold). Personally, I have pain where my epidurals were placed. I feel a pop and then I have pain sometimes usually hours but it has carried on for days, but it's usually when I am fighting an infection of some sort. I am not sure which doctor caused this pain (it has been traced to the 3 c-sections I have had) as all my children were born at different hospital/doctors/states. I would not get an epidural unless I knew I was having a c-section...too many side effects and labor isn't that bad without one. Yes, I labored with 2 of my kids!
    Mumof3kidz67

Answer by Mumof3kidz67 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Have you considered a natural birth? Epidurals are not without risks at all, there are risks involved for both mother and baby (do your own research and you will be shocked about it). If you are truly afraid of it i would research natural birthing methods that can help you ease the pain of labor and even help you achieve an easier birth.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• All this natural birth stuff is crap. I went to SO many classes and went through so many methods trying to have my daughter without an epidural... they didn't work! I say sign up for one and if you don't end up wanting to use it, great. At least you had the option.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 10:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I have thought about going the natural route, but i wanted to know and have my bases covered in case I would need pain relief.
    smltwnmom

Answer by smltwnmom at 4:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2009