How do you get rid of poison ivy?

I have thick bushes in my back yard. I found out I have poison ivy in between them. How do you get rid of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Home & Garden

• We used round up on some that we had growing up a tree last year and it killed it and didn't come back this year. It's all over in our yard, I have it for the second time this year :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I've been using vinegar (straight) thro a squirt bottle on my bind weed.Bind weed is one of those plants that NEVER die. Seems to be workung. Also Roundup or 2-4-D enime should do the trick.
    auntj

Answer by auntj at 9:29 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I can't help you with how to get rid of the poison ivy but I can tell you what NOT to do.
    Never try to burn it away. You can actually get poison ivy rash in your lungs.
    Don't dig the roots up with bare hands. Even if the plant doesn't have leaves, the roots are just as toxic.
    Also wash everything you use and wear while getting rid of the plant. The oils can stay on clothes and other object and infect your skin for up to 2 years.
    MommyMadness09

Answer by MommyMadness09 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• they have special stuff called ivy-gone. they should have it at the nursery or lowe's. it works really good and also kills poision sumac too i think. you just spray it on. it kills ivy but probably won't kill your bushes.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2009