When did u first start brushing your child's teeth?

my son is 14 mo old and has 8 teeth, is it too early to start?

Asked by mfh0411 at 9:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i gave all my children a tooth brush b4 they had teeth(around the 8 months) it helped the teeth to come though and got them used to having a tooth brush in there mouth, so i say nope its not to early.

Answer by sammy04k at 10:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• no, i started as soon as my son's teeth started coming in too. they have a baby toothpaste. i used it first its flavors are that of then i changed him to "kid" toothpaste when he got older (2 i think) it is safe for them to swallow a little bit.

Answer by chadsmom05 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• you start before they have teeth, using a damp cloth and wiping their gums. i would definitely start asap.

Answer by trepsica at 10:34 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I started brushing his gums before he had teeth and we've brushed his teeth ever since they started poking through.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Can't remember what it's called but i bought one of those rubber things you slide on your finger, they are made for babys gums. I used to rub my babys gums with it and it also helped her with her teething. And then i used the next stage brush that came in the pack, and then advanced to a tooth brush. She is now 2 and she brushes her teeth with me every day!

Answer by LilStar9905 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I started brushing my son's teeth as soon as the first one popped in. I used the finger brush for a while, but I've been using a toddler toothbrush and toddler toothpaste for a long time now. You should definitely be brushing his teeth 2-3 times a day, especially if he eats anything sugary.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I was told as soon as they get a tooth you should take care of it. Even if it is simply wiping it with a cloth after they eat...

• It is definately not too early to start but be aware he will probably be doing more chewing than brushing. My son loves brushing his teeth. I have gotten him to the point where he will say aaah and let me get a few quick brush swipes in and then I let him have the toothbrush and he chews on it while I brush my teeth and he watches me. Make sure to use baby toothpaste for the taste since he will swallow the toothpaste you don't need floride yet.

Answer by rasbneon at 3:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My daughter has been brushing her own teeth since she was about 14 months, she lets me finish for her because sometimes she misses the back teeth but she is pretty good at it now. She just watched us brush our teeth and she copied us. She brushes her tongue too. You should wipe them with a damp cloth if he wont let you brush them yet. The training tooth paste that we bought our daughter was a good incentive for her too. Good luck.

Answer by TandyMarie at 3:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Now is the time to start. Just use a soft bristle brush with toddler (safe to swallow) toothpaste. They prob will not like it at first, but after a few times will prob adjust to it. Good luck!!

Answer by redtang912 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2008