Ginsburg thought the court wanted a method of eugenics that the government could use to reduce growth in certain …. populations … that we didn’t want expanding?

Q: Are you talking about the distances women have to travel because in parts of the country, abortion is essentially unavailable, because there are so few doctors and clinics that do the procedure? And also, the lack of Medicaid for abortions for poor women?
JUSTICE GINSBURG: Yes, the ruling about that surprised me. [Harris v. McRae — in 1980 the court upheld the Hyde Amendment, which forbids the use of Medicaid for abortions.] Frankly I had thought that at the time Roe was decided, there was concern about population growth and particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of. So that Roe was going to be then set up for Medicaid funding for abortion. Which some people felt would risk coercing women into having abortions when they didn’t really want them. But when the court decided McRae, the case came out the other way. And then I realized that my perception of it had been altogether wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/magazine/12ginsburg-t.html?pagewanted=print
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• jaw drop

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• SOMEONE needs to retire!

eye rolling

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• And here is the first part of the statement. Nice try.

Q: If you were a lawyer again, what would you want to accomplish as a future feminist legal agenda?

JUSTICE GINSBURG: Reproductive choice has to be straightened out. There will never be a woman of means without choice anymore. That just seems to me so obvious. The states that had changed their abortion laws before Roe [to make abortion legal] are not going to change back. So we have a policy that affects only poor women, and it can never be otherwise, and I don’t know why this hasn’t been said more often.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Oh, and she is condemning it you nit wits. The decision that was made by an all male conservative court, because sweeties, it was the conservatives that were keeping the poor and other races down at the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My jaw drop was in response to the following, "sweetie":

there was concern about population growth and particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of.

the fact that anyone would say that really stinks.  By the way, using pet names makes you look like you have lost your ground and have no real argument.  Good luck with that.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:10 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• ...

:|
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 11:33 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• HA! So, again, you didn't read it right.
    Anonymous

• I did. Did you read what I wrote? Here, I'll make it easy for you:

the fact that anyone would say that really stinks.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2009