Are they waking up? AP: Hey, Obama may not have been honest about taxes after all

President Barack Obama promised to fix health care and trim the federal budget deficit, all without raising taxes on anyone but the wealthiest Americans. It’s a promise he’s already broken and will likely have to break again. Obama and the Democratic-controlled Congress have already increased tobacco taxes — which disproportionately hit the poor — to pay for extending health coverage to 4 million children in working low-income families.
Now, lawmakers are looking for more revenues to help pay for providing medical insurance to millions more who lack it at a projected cost of $1 trillion over the next decade.
The floated proposals include increasing taxes on alcohol, which could raise $62 billion over the next decade, and a new tax on sugary drinks such as soda, which could raise $52 billion. …

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Obama made a firm tax pledge during the presidential campaign, repeating it numerous times in the weeks and months leading up to Election Day: no tax increases for individuals making less than $200,000 a year or couples making less than $250,000.

“Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes,” Obama told a crowd in Dover, N.H., last year.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090708/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_tax_promise
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Nothing in life is free! I'm ready to pay to put the US on top again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Bush " Read my lips No new taxes" Shit happens. Y E S Obama pledged not to tax couples making less than 250,000 during his campaign. That was before Sept 2008, when most people didn't realize how much the Bush adminstraton destroyed the economy with tax cuts. We are paying for it now!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• BTW I was referring to Daddy Bush in read my lips.... It was his idiot son that destroyed the economy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Who (as in 'they') are you referring to? His loyal followers that actually pay attention to what goes on in politics seem to LIKE what he's doing.

If you are talking about the masses that voted for him with both eyes tightly shut, IF by some chance they are waking up, it'll only last until the next celebrity tragedy.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about people like that woman who was out yelling, I ain't gonna have to worry about my mortgage no more, or puttin gas in my tank. . . .because I'm takin care of my boy obama, and now he's gonna take care of me. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• *gasp!* Do you mean that Obama wasn't completely honest with the American People??? You can't be serious!!

Seriously, is anyone surprised? The guy can't utter ANYTHING that even remotely resembles truth...

christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 9:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Is anyone in office completely honest????
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 10:09 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• What I'm curious about is how many people really WANT to pay more taxes? (besides the ANON above) I mean, if you already HAVE the money to pay more, you have the money for medical insurance and to make your house more energy efficient.

Do people assume that those extra taxes are going to be paid by Beyonce and Angelina? Anyone but them? Does anyone have the money today? I certainly don't.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:11 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Obama is a politician therefore lying is what he does. He will raise taxes even further. He will allow the Bush tax cuts to expire and my family will lose 200 a month in income. Add in the Cap and Trade if it is passed we will spend an additional 200 in energy costs. Add in what we will have to pay for private insurance after Health care is passed and our company drops covering everyone we will spend 700-800 a month maybe more to insure our family. Not really change we can afford and effectively wipes out all the money we spend on charity and savings. We will be living paycheck to paycheck unlike now. I guess the plan is to make sure the middle income are poor. Nice.  eye rolling

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Add in what we will have to pay for private insurance after Health care is passed and our company drops covering everyone we will spend 700-800 a month maybe more to insure our family. We will have to pay this because for us having a Medicare type plan is not something we want to have. I want to choose my doctor and want to have some control over my healthcare. With the gov plan we won't have any say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2009