Hoyer: No one would vote for Obama Healthcare plan IF they read the bill

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said Tuesday that the health-care reform bill now pending in Congress would garner very few votes if lawmakers actually had to read the entire bill before voting on it.
“If every member pledged to not vote for it if they hadn’t read it in its entirety, I think we would have very few votes,” Hoyer told CNSNews.com at his regular weekly news conference.
Hoyer was responding to a question from CNSNews.com on whether he supported a pledge that asks members of the Congress to read the entire bill before voting on it and also make the full text of the bill available to the public for 72 hours before a vote.
In fact, Hoyer found the idea of the pledge humorous, laughing as he responded to the question. “I’m laughing because a) I don’t know how long this bill is going to be, but it’s going to be a very long bill,” he said.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=50677
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I think that no one should vote for anything they haven't actually researched on their own. Why vote for something when you don't know what's hidden in it?

I research before I vote. I wish everyone did the same.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 9:45 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I am with christa. We don't vote these nincompoops in office to sit in pretty chairs and cater to people pandering at their feet. Their JOB is to READ the bills! Thats all they have to do. Read and vote....and every once in a while propose a new bil...that everyone should READ and then vote on. I have been taught since I was about six years old not to ever sign a paper I haven't read in it's entirety...these supposedly educated people do it every day.....to our expense!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• How can anyone say Yes or No if they haven't read it? I'm sick of this!
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 9:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It drives me nuts that they vote of stuff they haven't read. However, even if they try to read it, someone adds a bunch more stuff prior to voting, so there is NO WAY they can actually understand what they are voting on. Cap & Trade was 1400 pages long. They should be given TWO FULL weeks to read and ponder what was in that. Instead, the last 400 pages got added at the last minute, and then they voted.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:05 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Hoyer found the idea of the pledge humorous, laughing as he responded to the question. “I’m laughing because a) I don’t know how long this bill is going to be, but it’s going to be a very long bill,” he said.

They should be required to read it!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:25 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• They haven't read any of the other bills they have passed why would they this one. The Cap and Trade had 300 pages added and the Democrats that added the pages would not allow those who asked to see the pages to even have copies of what was added. Yet people still voted and the thing passed the House. Hope our Senators use more common sense but it is doubtful. I don't see why any more common sense would be used on the Health care bill than on Cap and Trade. I hope people are finally starting to see there is no transparency and never will be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• They should never sign a bill that they are unaware of the contents of.

I did hear, on Fox News last night, though, that even some Republicans have said that when you put out a bill of over 1000 pages, generally it will not get read by very Senator or Congressman directly, but that a handful of pages and staff will take portions of the bill, read it, point out any issues and give a brief to them - making their jobs easier.

This pledge is asking all of them to read it directly and be ready to vote on it within 72 hours.

I'm a pretty fast reader, don't get me wrong - but I don't think I could read a 2000 page document in 72 hours, unless I didn't sleep whatsoever.
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 10:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• They should be REQUIRED to read the bill in in it's entirety before they can vote on it. If they don't read it, they don't vote. It's as simple as that.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Absolute BS these bills are major and will effect this country for years and years to come.The govy healthcare crap (if it goes through) will likely end up a mess like everything else they run and it won't be able to be reversed..........but gee let's not READ it first.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:06 AM on Jul. 9, 2009