What is a good amount to tip

A piercer? I pay $25 for the piercing and then usually $35 for the jewelry. My piercer is the greatest guy, so I tip him $20. Is that too much or too little? Also, one time I didn't have enough cash to tip him for a re-pierce (he did this for free) but paid him $2o this last time I went in. He looked a little perplexed but thanked me. To generous? Stingy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i have never heard of tipping a piecer lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I think that you surprise him with a tip most people don't tip them. I think that your fine with the amount. Maybe the next time you see him ask him if others tip him and what's the norm.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You can't really be too generous. You tip well, and I'm sure it makes him feel greatly appreciated. If you can afford it, continue to do so. As someone who worked on tips as a waitress when I had just moved out of my parents' house when I was younger, I know the importance of it, and how much better you feel when you know someone appreciates the work you've done for them. I always tip more than necessary. I think being a big tipper is a great quality to have. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You have your own piercer? LOL...Just laughing because of the way you worded that. Um, I agree with the pp about being generous. I dont thing theres ever a way to be too generous if they have done a good job. I would think if it costs you $30 to have something done, a $4-$5 tip is good. If it were more then maybe a $6 or $7 tip. I had my car handwashed the other day by the local carwash. They are all hispanic people who work very hard to do what youve paid for. I had paid for one of the highest services because my truck was a mess. We had been in a building project for several months and my floor boards were muddy. There are always 2 of them so I knew I had to do both. I think the going rate is about $2-$3 a piece but I gave them each $5 because they spent extra time on my truck and they did a great job. I think its great reward someone for doing a good job. Good luck on whatever you decide.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:09 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I tipped generally $10 or so a piercing. Then again where I go the piercers only income is tips. They don't get paid per piercing. There was a few signs that said this. Hubby tips a bit more than me because he is horrible when it comes to piercings and I usually tip less than him because I am such a good customer I have been told.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:11 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• momofasee, I should have worded that better, I suppose. I say that because I have been going to the same guy for years. He's a great guy and I trust him completely. That's why I said that. Kind of like when you go to the same stylist for years, you refer to them as your stylist. Same thing...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jul. 9, 2009