what does it mean when a doctor wants to strip your membranes?

tinamikey214

Asked by tinamikey214 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my ob said it might help my water break, but it didn't.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• While they are checking you, they will try and scrap some of the cells from your cervix. This can help induce labor, or help your water break. FYI, it hurts, A LOT. And it does not always mean you'll delivery within 1-3 days after they do this. I had mine stripped, lost my mucus plug & started to go into labor that night, then labor stalled and stopped. I didn't have my son until a week later, had to be induced with pitocin and was also 4 days late.

This doesn't mean it won't happen for you though. My friend had hers stripped and went into labor that night and had her baby the next day.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2009