Anxiety

I just got off my antidepressant/anti anxiety meds for my PPD. I am doing fine, I don't feel depressed at all but my anxiety came back. Is there anything natural that I can take for it. I am trying to concieve and don't want to take any medication. Thanks for your help!

Fairy_Wings

Asked by Fairy_Wings at 9:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Health

• I make a tea that I call ANXIE-TEA. It's safe to drink while preggo. Here's the recipe: 2 cups each lavender, lemon balm, peppermint, passionflower, chamomile; and 2 hops flowers. Crush the hops and mix everything together. Steep 1 tablespoon per 6 oz of water for 15 minutes. It may be hard to find the herbs in their pure dried form, though. We have a place called Limbo's here in Oregon where I go to make mine. Also, CALM DROPS have some of the same effect. Stay away from caffeine, sleep as much as possible, listen to a panic CD (like Belleruth Naparstek's CD "PANIC ATTACKS"), and be aware of what time of day you are more likely to have panic. I have panic in the morning, so I protect that time by never leaving the house and keeping the time as calm as possible. Good luck!
    Llamatron

Answer by Llamatron at 1:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I would find the source of the anxiety and what caused it. And what was happening at that exact point. Explore your feelings and uncover the real reason for the anxiety. I had PPD after my first prego and now after my second I'm having a fear of it coming back. Having friends and family around helped the ppd I think. I was on meds and tehy didn't help. the talking helps but don't want to pay someone to talk to them. If you need, you can vent to me anytime. I think this is the best cure...just talking it out to someone.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 10:24 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Go to your library, and check out a book called No More Panic by Dr. Claire Weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:27 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• If you want to take something, you could go to GNC and buy Bach's Rescue Remedy. It's all natural and it might help you.
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 11:08 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Also, don't be surprised if you feel some residual depression after the panic subsides. Anxiety often masks underlying depression. I would highly suggest seeing a psychologist or clinical therapist if you can't seem to get a handle on it by yourself. They can help you to work through your feelings and stay medication-free, and also know when to tell you that they truly feel you NEED medication and which ones you can take during pregnancy. For me, it is a matter of life and death, so I have no choice about anti-depressants. I am glad you're going to be able to be medication free! Keep up the help network you probably built up when you were acute with PPD--it can help you stay off meds and catch you if you DO fall. Also, be nice to yourself during pregnancy and after birth, even nicer than the first time around. It makes such a big difference!!!
    Llamatron

Answer by Llamatron at 1:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• yep. smoke a joint. Best thing for anxiety.
    Anonymous