What formula should I feed my baby?

My dd is 6 weeks old and I was breastfeeding but was not producing enough milk so we are bottle feeding now and i am having problems knowing what formula she should have. My first daughter was on enfamil prosoy and it stunk I didnt like it. So we started my daughter on the regular enfamil gentlease but she was pretty fussy at night so we switched to soy again thinking maybe it was a tummy ache. Well still gets fussy at night for a little bit. Do you think it would be okay to switch back to the regular formula or stick with the soy?

lillysmama2008

Asked by lillysmama2008 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You dont switch formula because it smells or you dont like it. Its usually that its because its not working for the child. Both of my girls had to take soy formula because their stomachs couldnt handle milk based formula. The vomiting was unreal. Both of my boys were fine with milk based formula. All of them got breastmilk at some point as well. Generally, the ped will tell you to start with the regular milk based formula and then if you have to switch to soy, then do it. If they cant handle soy either, then thats when you let him recommend which one to go to. My youngest was a chronic spitter and the doc diagnosed him with reflux so he prescribed him the Enfamil AR. He hated that. Would not take it. So doc told me to take regular enfamil and add rice to it and I would have the same thing. That worked. It sometimes takes trial and error but you have to take the childs reaction to it into consideration. CONT.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:23 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Also one other suggestion is that if you qualify for WIC, then its best to go ahead and start them on the formula that WIC uses even if youre not qualified yet. Most people, even middle class moms will qualify for WIC. We had never been on any other state run program but when I heard about WIC with my 3rd child, I jumped at the chance to have help. Each states WIC program uses a different kind. Sometimes is Similac and sometimes its Enfamil. It does sound like your daughter needs soy formula and thats very common. If you think you might want to apply for wic, then find out which brand they use. Enfamil's soy is called Prosobee and Similacs is called Isomil. I used Carnation Alsoy with my second child. I didnt know WIC existed at that time. If you dont want to use WIC or dont qualify, in my personal experience, I like the prosobee or the Alsoy the best. You want something that mixes well and it all stinks. Soy just stinks...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:27 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• With my daughter we used Carnation Good start, she liked it and thrived on it. Also there are lactose free formula's out there, a better choice than soy
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It will take your daughter time to adjust to any changes in what you are feeding her. You probably need to try sticking to one type for a few weeks before you change again unless the fussiness is extreme or your baby is sick or not eating. Also, a lot of babies go through a fussy phase during the first few months even if they don't have feeding issues.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:52 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Have you tried to up your supply? As we all know nothing is better for baby then breastmilk. Also don't forget that at 6 weeks baby is experiencing a growth spurt and it is also the time that you start regulating. Both of these combined often lead to a misinterpretation of "not producing enough" and unneeded supplementation.

Why do you feel like you are not producing enough?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I agree with Zakysmommy, lactose free is generally better than soy. Soy can be harder to digest than cows milk and most soy formulas are not lactose free.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• With my son i use Similac NeoSure. He was born 6 weeks early so i needed one with more vitamins. But the enfamil lipil is suposed to be a good one.
    Anonymous

• SO I don't understand why the switch totally to formula, you know its not all or nothing right? AND you know there are tons of easy ways to raise supply right? NO one told me and I just switched as soon as I FELT there was a supply issue. There really wasn't it was my doctor not knowing about BFing and a growth spurt and even if there HAD been a supply issue...eatting oatmeal and taking 9-12 fenugreek pills from GNC would most likely solve it.

You wanna switch to formula all the way, thats up to you, but there is hope to still BFing. See a LC, they are free through WIC and also through the hospital you delivered at.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I would still be breastfeeding if I had any milk at all, but I dont so I cant. I dont qualify for wic, I talked a lactation consultant, I ate the oatmeal and tried fenugreek and it did not help. I forgot about the lactofree kind I might try that I am not trying to be selfish, I just thought if I didnt have to use soy then I wouldnt because it makes my dd smell worse than other formulas. Thank you for all your help!
    lillysmama2008

Answer by lillysmama2008 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It is virtually impossible for you to dry up completely, unless you have a thyroid issue or are pregnant again you have milk if you've been nursing. You don't just dry up suddenly and not in 6 weeks, its impossible, if a LC told you that you could then they lied and you should see a new one.

tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2009