carbohydrates?

i am going on a low carbohydrate diet.ive been looking around everything seems to have carbs.ive looked on the atkins website.maybe i can get some different ideas here.

nana77500

Asked by nana77500 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Health

• Why are you going on a low carb diet? Unless there is a medical reason, you are really just looking at a temporary weight loss. There are good carbs (whole grains, beans, etc.) and bad carbs (white flour, white sugar, white rice, etc.). Unless you learn how to eat healthy for life, you will not be able to maintain a healthy weight and will stay on the gain/lose roller coaster. Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water every day. Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc.) every day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables every day, in at least 3 different colors. You will lose weight. You will maintain a healthy weight. You will get sick less often. You will be setting a wonderful example for your children. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big salad before meals.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:24 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I agree with rkolms, i went on the south beach diet and lost a lot of weight fast but couldn't eat like that for the rest of my life. so the weight came back. eating low carb will require a lot of cooking b/c all the places out there is not friendly to a no carb diet. even lunch required me to cook something...
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 10:27 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You can do it if you cut out the breads, pasta, potatoes, most cereals and rice. Sounds kinda strict, I know, but I've done it. An omelet or high fiber cereal for breakfast, huge chef salad for lunch, lean meat served with lots of veggies for dinner. Snacks can be sugar free jello, low fat string cheese, cottage cheese, veggies & dip, hard boiled eggs...and you DO get all the nutrition you need if you eat a well rounded variety of foods!

I love to make stir fry with beef or chicken and loads of veggies and serve it over cooked lentils. Compared to rice (36 g carb per serving, no fiber), lentils (1/2 c. uncooked has 20 g carb, 8 g fiber per serving) are a better choice and are pretty tasty. My kids like stir fry that way. I've also served spaghetti sauce over lentils instead of pasta....different but good.

I went to www.recipezaar.com and searched "South Beach" or "low carb" and got hundreds of recipes.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:33 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I'm on the South Beach plan. I've lost 10 lbs and have had none of it return because I stuck to the plan. South Beach sticks you on that strict LOW CARB phase for only 2 weeks. After that you slowly add back healthy carbs. It's meant to retrain you how to eat for life, avoiding the empty carbs which add weight back on. I am doing it for health reasons: I'm diabetic and my blood sugars were out of control. Since I've been on the SB plan I've managed to lower my cholesterol and blood sugars to a normal level in addition to losing weight. I've had more energy than I've had in years, as long as I avoid eating too many carbs. I CAN eat like this for the rest of my life because my quality of life depends on it.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2009