No more bottled water? for here!

http://www.windstream.net/wind/portal/NewsChannel.aspx?ArticleID=D99AV83G0&CatID=TopHeadlines

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It was the second blow to Australia's beverage industry

sounds like people will be losing their jobs or livelihood. that's not a good thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I'm not sure what to think. We do buy bottled water, not as much as we use to tho. We do recycle in our home so I'm hopeful that the bottles we use don't end up in a landfill somewhere but at a recycling plant. The main reason we buy water is for traveling to states outside of MD where we're unsure how the drinking water will taste (have you ever had Philly's water? YUCK). When we're at home we use our regular tap water because here in MD our water is pretty good. When we leave the house for errands and such and want to bring water or juice we use our Camelbak water bottles and take it with us. So a case of water in our home in the winter could potentially last us a month if we don't do much traveling outside of MD; in the summer I'd say we go thru a case and a half because we're always going places. Even when we use water bottles and we're not home either we look for places to recycle or we bring them back home with us
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Many countries don't even have fresh drinking water. Kids die everyday in this world because they don't have water to drink. So, we won't have expensive plastic water bottles to drink from? Atleast we aren't dying from dehydration.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Good.

I'm all for resuable bottles...but not this crap. And like the anon above me said, at least we're not dying of dehydration.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 11:08 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I've read several reports that say that bottled drinking water in many cases is no better than what comes out of your tap, and in some cases worse. If your tap water tastes bad or is high in chlorine (smells like bleach) use a tap filter, something like a Britta or similar. Have a few reusable bottles or thermoses on hand to carry water in and try not to buy any more water than you have to. In most cases it is an unnecessary expense and contributes to landfill.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:24 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I think its a very green move, and I commend them. In the city where I work bottled watter is assessed an extra tax. I use to love bottled water, but it was my most non-green habit and it needed to go.

Those plastic bottles take 1.5 million barrells of oil each year to make just the bottles of water that Americans drink. Plus the oil in gasoline it costs to transport "spring" water from places like Fiji.

Plus they take awhile to disintegrate, and certain plastics release harmful gases into the air when they are decomposing.

Go with a reusable like Klean Kanteen http://www.kleankanteen.com/ More pricey at first glance, but will save you money overtime, and save the environment :o)

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:52 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT BOTTLE WATER IS A RIP OFF, I WAS BROUGHT UP ON TAB WATER AND SO WERE MY KIDS, AND WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN PRETTY HEALTHY. IMAGINE IF YOU WILL THE $ THAT WILL BE SAVED OVER THE YEARS.

Answer by older at 12:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• If you drink as much water as you are supposed to, and only drink bottled water, you are spending something like $6000 every year on water for a family. (and that's using the cheap stuff from WalMart that they probably bottle straight from some river in China downstream from the oxen) The stuff in your faucet (that you know where it comes from) is $30/mo. I don't understand why anyone would WANT to drink the bottled stuff. You don't have something better to do with $6k? If your water is that bad, spend the $20 for a filtered pitcher or faucet filter.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• We keep a case of bottled water in the car trunk for emergencies, along with a first aid kit and some food. I know it sounds a little nuts, but there were people trapped on a highway locally a couple of years ago and my kids aren't going to go hungry or thirsty. That's all we use it for tho.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I always thought leaving bottled water in the car was bad for you? I don't keep bottled water in my car because some research has shown that the heat releases chemicals and carcinogens into the water. If we are going on a longer trip, we fill up our BPA free reusable water bottles that the school sells and because we have about 7 of them, they normally last us a full day.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2009