Is it a sin?

I was told today smoking pot is a sin. Is this true?

How is partaking in somthing God gave us a sin?

Or are ppl just mixing up illegal and Sin? Not every sin is illegal just like not everything thats illegal is a sin?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, if you are wondering from a biblical persepective, there are two ways to look at it.

1) God says that our bodies are a temple and we should treat them accordingly.
    2) The bible also teaches us "all things in moderation".

So, I would take these two statements and apply them to yourself. If you are using it in moderation and you are suffering no ill effects from it, then the only thing sinful about it is the fact that it IS against the law, and the bible also teaches us to 3) obey the law of the land.

So . . . there you have it. Take it as you will.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It's not a sin, but it IS stupid...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Technically we are told to obey the laws of the land, and so to disobey them would be sin... But other than that I see no reason for it to be considered a sin. I just personally think its pointless and don't want anything to do with it, but that's my choice. If they were to legalize it I would have no problem with others doing it, as long as it isn't in my home...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I'd worry more about the reason why smoking and it's illegality for the most part than what God thinks of it. also, ramifications on kids if parents smoke it. The God in the original Bible which ever bible which ever God was of very very long ago. Letting humans clearly run their own lives has taken away from his original words.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Then again, they say drunkenness is a sin, so other mind altering drugs probably are too....
    Hmmm....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Well, if its illegal, then its likely a sin as well. Not because the Bible says, thou shalt not smoke pot or anything, but God does command us to abide by the laws of the land, respecting those whom He has put in charge. It also tell us to take care of our temple and watch what we put into it. As far as the argument about God making the plant so its not wrong, I am not going to debate that. I really dont have an answer for you. I do feel that anything we do to ourselves to alter our minds to either help deal with issues or give us a false sense of peace is by passing what God wants for us. I believe he put things on the earth to heal, or treat disease naturally, but I dont think he put it there for us to abuse. He wants us to get our peace from him. I cant judge anyone who doesnt have this down because I struggle as well. Its actually one of my hardest things to overcome. Not pot, but the finding peace in other things issue.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Using your logic it would be OK for us to drink poison like hemlock even though it would kill us because we're partaking in something God gave us. Does that really make sense? It would appear to be more of a rationalization to me.

There's nothing intrinsicly wrong with pot - but there is a problem misusing it. Since it's illegal in the USA and using it could lead to arrest, fines, children being removed from the home, etc that would indicate smoking pot is misusing it and a sin. If it's used legally for medical purposes - not a sin. If it's misused (and the medical purpose is just an excuse to get high) - then it's a sin.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I think it would be a personal conviction...I think it is wrong and would not do it personally. I know it says that our body is a temple and should be clean and pure. I also don't think that just because God made it means we should enjoy it...God made poison ivy too and I don't see people rolling in it because it was made by God...just my thoughts personally.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It is a sin to not obey the laws of the land. God gave us plutonium and uranium but you would smoke that would you?

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• OP here:

say someone wasn't smoking for immature reasons, like to just get high. But for spiritually(meditation, to help reach enlightenment) or medical reasons. Then what?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jul. 9, 2009