Caught in the middle- a vent

What to do if I'm overqualified (not that I won't work "there", but they won't hire me), in a bad economy?

What to do if I'm caught in the middle?

I'm starting an online business to save myself. (Hopefully that'll will work. I'm in debt and my daughter is going to college next year. ) I'm stuck where I'm living, so moving to a new city is out of the question.

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 10:36 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• You need to convince a potential employer that you would be happy at a pay rate that is lower than you are qualified for and have earned in the past, that you plan on sticking around and are not just biding your time until something better comes along, and that it is to their benefit to have someone with more skills and experience - they will be getting more bang for their buck.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:19 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• maybe if you change to a different field, you can sell yourself as wanting to start over and learn from the bottom up.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 12:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• rkoloms, Thank You

LadyEb,
    I will be overqualified regardless. But nothing is secure anymore (cutbacks) in the playing field. And, the entry level assumes that I will return to my field (meaning- bidding for time). A catch twenty-two.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 2:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• it is a hard place to be... I was there too... I knew that I needed to find a home business that would let me parent my kids and still bring in an income... I no longer wanted to store or ship products so my second business is only internet based... turnkey .... the best part of owning your own internet business is that it goes anyplace you do... look for the like minded people and you will not be so in the middle, but equal with their thinking and motivation... my business is located at blessingsbegin.com....
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 8:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2009