• In the Spotlight:

Is there any other medical term to refer to Autism Spectrum Disorder?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Technically, "Autism Spectrum Disorder" is not a medical term at all, at least not a clinical one, & it should not be used as a diagnosis, as it is merely a descriptive term. A child may be thought to have an ASD, but then would still need further testing to determine which one specifically.

A child who has an ASD will be given a specific diagnosis that is clinically relevant, either Autistic Disorder, Asperger's Syndrome or Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified. The specific diagnostic label that a child is given clinically describes the type of symptoms that a child is expressing at the time of evaluation, not the degree of severity (although it was once that way).

Also, while all Autism Spectrum Disorders are Pervasive Developmental Disorders, not all Pervasive Developmental Disorders are an Autism Spectrum Disorder, even though the two terms are frequently used interchangeably
    Anonymous

• be careful some evaluators will lie to get coverage for families. i refused that cause i didn't want to be involved in lies. some kids are just born with different processing, other have illnesses or accidents that cause it. google it there's a batch of organizations out on it tor thoughts on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• PDD- Pervasive Development Disorder is used as well
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• autism spectrum disorder covers a whole range of autism disorders. Even ADHD is on the spectrum nowadays. You have to be more specific when talking about just plain 'ol ASD. Low scale ASD is stuff like ADHD, PDD, and Asperger's. The high part of the scale is mainly referred to as just 'autism'.
    Llamatron

Answer by Llamatron at 12:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My husband helps with the vacuming
    babyboomer1957

Answer by babyboomer1957 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• ASD does not equal PDD. They are not the same. One is part of the other, but they aren't the same.

ASD is ASD. It is the general term. If you receive a diagnosis, you'll receive a more specific one than "ASD". My son has an ASD. He has PDD-NOS and ADHD.
    Anonymous

• My son is ADHD and has NEVER once been referred to as being on the Autisim Spectrum. I would not allow that to happen if anyone tried. I have never heard that ADHD is on the Autisim Spectrum from doctors, counselors, etc. If that were the case, I would be able to get social security for my ADHD child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• As far as I know, ADHD is NOT on the spectrum. They state that ADHD sometimes presents with symptoms similar to that of an ASD, but it hasn't been put on the spectrum that I know of.

ASD is a category that diagnoses fall under, so I don't know if I understand the OP's question.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:15 AM on Jul. 11, 2009