No minorities allowed.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Pool-Boots-Kids-Who-Might-Change-the-Complexion.html

This is what the president said:
"There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion … and the atmosphere of the club," John Duesler, President of The Valley Swim Club said in a statement.

So what do you all think of this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This was posted yesterday and I think I would like a more detailed response from the club than what the NBC affiliate provided the viewers with.

They are a private club and can accept whoever they want to, no matter how wrong it is. I don't agree with their decision to kick the kids out, but then again, if I didn't want them there I wouldn't have accepted their money in the first place. I guess time will tell, but I am waiting for the other side of the story before I form a complete opinion on the subject.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:15 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• This is disgusting and is only encouraging racism! For the white kids to leave the pool whenever black kids get in just shows what their parents are teaching them at home! It makes me sick!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 11:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It's disgusting, very sad
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Every body can say that America is a place were many races collide. I don't think they are referring to races mingling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I saw this yesterday and my question still remains - are they going to refund the monies that paid for the "open memberships" that were advertised and paid for in full? It's one thing for a private club to say they don't want this person and that person affiliated with them but it's an entirely different matter to keep the money of those who they're kicking out.

Race issues in this country have gotten much better over the years in SOME places but instances like this let's those who think they are a thing of the past know they still exist.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Is that all of his explanation? It's pretty horrible.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:38 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• The next day the club told the camp director that the camp's membership was being suspended and their money would be refunded.
     "I said, 'The parents don't want the refund. They want a place for their children to swim,'" camp director Aetha Wright said.

Ladybug, this is the only thing from the article that references the money. The parents are right to refuse the refund.  If they have policies that exclude certain members of society from their club, it's their responsibility to disclose that policy.  IMO, the parents are right to refuse the refund and to demand an explanation.  I'm still waiting for someone to post a follow up with a response from the club.  I searched a few times yesterday and didn't come up with anything but this article and a few blogs that referenced it. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Horrible. It makes me absolutely sick that my daughter will have to grow up amongst children like this.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Do you live near there, caitxrawks?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I do...From a suburb outside Philly
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2009