Is anyone currently adopting from Moldova or Hungary and how is it going?

jaminikole

Asked by jaminikole at 11:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Adoption

• hi jaminikole- i am currently in the process of adopting from moldova- i have accepted a referral and am waiting to travel for my court appointment. it is my understanding that as a result of the current political concerns in the country they are no longer accepting new applications as of right now. i hope this was helpful and i wish you much luck.
    jellybeanshoes

Answer by jellybeanshoes at 12:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• There are thousands of kids sitting in the foster care system waiting for a good family. No offense to you, but I just don't understand adopting from foreign countries when there are already so many needy children right here!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Well, to answer why we are not adopting from Foster care..simply because i have traveled around the world for eleven years to over 25 different countries and the kids in our system are still a thousand times better off than any in Moldova etc.... If you have the same experience then please feel free to share. Have you been to anywhere outside the USA and seen the institutions and systems of care? The value of a child or young adult in the USA and living conditions,provisions in education and life support is richer than almost any country in the world. My best friend has a foster child and he is six so I also have great insight into the system and what is provided. I have also worked side by side in Mission trips with adults who went through the system and even though life was hard they are now teachers and lead productive lives. Unlike the options given to a young girl just out of the orphanage in Moldova.
    jaminikole

Answer by jaminikole at 1:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• OP - you did a good job standing up for your decision. You shouldn't have to justify your reasons to anyone. Anon 10:49 - sorry, but that is offensive! Unless you are a foster parent, please refrain from telling others how they should form their families.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I admire those who are able to adopt from other countries. Well, those who adopt all together. We are going to be adopting a sibling set after our child is born. We are going to look into everything. We can't afford to spend 30,000+ for it, but would love to give siblings in need a great home. Someday. . .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Anon 2:26 - be sure to take enough time to see what is available in your area. For example, for Nebraska residents, there is Nebraska Children's Home Society. They are totally FREE! They handle both infant and foster situations. You never know what you may find. Our Catholic Charities office in KC, KS only charged $5,000 for an adoption fee. It doesn't have to cost that much. If you're looking for a sibling set or something very specific, fost-adopt may be your best bet. It costs next to nothing. Good luck, and congrats on your soon-to-be addition(s)!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:46 AM on Jul. 10, 2009

• And, as usual, no one actually answers the original question! Just a bunch of holier than thou people who have nothing to offer for advice, only condemnation! Welcome to cafe mom!!! Sorry, OP, I acknowledge your question, but as I'm not adopting from there, I only have SUPPORT to offer you! Many blessings to you in your journey.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Anon 11:17 - I only saw one response that could be interpreted as condemnation. The rest were offering support, even though none of us are adopting from there right now. All I can say is there is a lot of anger here! Not healthy.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Thank you so much for letting me know. I am very excited for you. Despite all the un easiness to adopt from there, we just cant get it out of our hearts. I hope the door is open when we have raised all the funds.
    Blessings,
    Jamie
    jaminikole

Answer by jaminikole at 11:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2009