• In the Spotlight:

What is a good family car for a family of 4? What do you drive?

We are in desperate need of a new family vehicle. We are SO outgrown our contour.

I need something that is SAFE, can fit a toddler and an infant rear facing (toddler's car seat is a Britax and takes up quite a bit of room), and have a decent amount of cargo room.

I'm leaning towards buying an SUV but want something with decent as milage.

In your opinion what vehicle is good for a family of 4?
Is there a place where I can look up safety ratings and a place where I can look up what car seats fit best in certain cars?

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Travel

• Op here- should say "have" not "are" at the top. Sorry! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My friend has a honda pilot and I like it. My dad has a Envoy and they are both smaller SUVs with 3rd row seating. You can put down back seats for extra cargo.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• We have a Chevy impala, I fit a booster, a forward facing car seat and a infant seat in the back seat with no problems, the trunk is very big, I can fit a pack n play, double stroller and 2 suitcases with no problems. An I love it!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 12:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Have you considered a station wagon? They get better gas mileage than SUV's and have more cargo room than regular cars. We have a VW Jetta station wagon, but the backseat may be smaller than what you are wanting. The Passat wagon has a bit more room as does the Subaru Outback. The Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV both get decent gas mileage for an SUV and still have a good amount of cargo room in the back.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Consumer Reports is the best site I found that talked about safety ratings when I was researching getting a new car for us. The only thing is that you have to pay to use their site, so if you do use it, make sure you cancel your account when you are done or they will continue to bill you, if you don't want to keep using it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I have a Chrysler Pacifica and LOVE it. Unfortunately, they are not made anymore but you could probably find a nice used one. The one I have is a 2005, has 2 bucket seats in the back, then a 3rd row folding seat too. Tons of room, when the 3rd row seat is down. I have fit 6 adults in the car comfortably before, and there is plenty of room for car seats.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Public transit and the occasional iGo

Answer by rkoloms at 1:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Toyota Camry is a good family car.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 2:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• We have a Mazda 3 which has good back seat room for 2 car seats and the trunk is rather large. The trunk is larger then the Corolla and Accord. We just bought a Ford Explorer and well that has all the room you could need for 2 small children. The Mazda gets excellent gas mileage..as for the Explorer I don't drive it that often so I can save the gas in it for awhile.

My advice is to go test drive and take your stroller and place in the trunk to see if you have the room you need and also try putting in the carseats. Good Luck
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I just bought a Ford Edge! I LOVE it!!!!! Check out edmonds.com for good reviews. I bought the base model and it still has tons of stuff, side airbags. I used to drive a Ford Focus! It handles so nice, turns better than the focus did!!!! I got a great deal too, mine is a 2007 and it was $14,500!
    meghancooper

Answer by meghancooper at 5:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2009