My 2 year old and her new puppy

My so and I got our 2 1/2 year old a new puppy. The puppy is doing great. But my little girl not so good. She plays to rough with the puppy and tries to pick her up by the neck. We are working with her and things are getting a little better. Yesterday she kept have accidents like peeing her pants and pooping. She was almost completely potty trainded. Do you thinks she is doing this because she is jealous of the dog? Does anyone have any advice to help her be nicer to the puppy?

tinaaly

Asked by tinaaly at 12:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pets

• First you never give a 2 yr old a puppy, that being said now that you did you have to be extra strict with her on how she handles it because she can easily break its bone or kill it on accident. WHen it comes to the potty training thin you are just going to have to keep on her about it like you do with the puppy. if you let the puppy out every 2 hours then take your dd to the bathroom then too.

And i am not trying to be a bitch i have just seen too many pets given to small children and those pets get severely hurt because kids are too rough with them. I have a dog whos legs were broken by the kids he was given to as a puppy.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I'd tell her it is just a baby in a soft voice.and show her physically how to pet the puppy gentle.but don't let her be alone with it.It may take a while for her to catch on.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 2:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• What kind of puppy? What size is what I mean. I agree with the first poster, BUT like she said, what is done is done so try to make the best of it. Firstly, do not leave her alone with the pup, give the pup a place to escape to if your daughter becomes too much for her. Teach her quickly and firmly how to handle the pup. IF she even starts to take the pup by the neck, pick it up and say, "NO, you hurt him, he's taking a nap until you can play nice" and put him in his safe place (preferably a kennel that she cannot open) Try again a little later.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:30 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Why on earth would you get a pet with such a young child in the house?

Little kids are way too rough with animals. Animals get injured from being picked up by the leg/tail/neck. Kids get bitten/scratched for pissing off the pets.

But, as the damage is already done...

Never leave your daughter with the puppy unsupervised. Ever.

The puppy should have its own room w/ door. Instruct your daughter that this is the puppy's bedroom and she cannot bother the puppy in here.

Make rules that daughter is not to disturb puppy while puppy is eating or sleeping. Also make it a rule that she cannot pick up the puppy. If she disobeys, instill the usual punishment.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:23 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Mousuke--I only disagree on one aspect, the puppy needs to be taught to accept people touching him when he sleeps and eats, otherwise he MAY end up biting her when he is older and she does it. Dogs tend to get possessive about food if you don't adjust them to the idea when they are young that they are not allowed to be possessive about it.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 3:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2009