How do u get the Mildew smells from clothes?

My SO tried to do laundry when I was gone for a few days, he must have gotten lazy and left my clothes in the washer...WET.... now they smell like mildew, I tried to rewash them, but nothing seems to work.
Got any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yeah try washing them in warm water with fabric softener that smells great. My DH did this once and I washed them with warm water and (I hate fabric softener) but the smell was so great that I used it and the mildew smell came out! Also put a static cling in the dryer with a scent!
    Anonymous

• Put a cup of white vinegar in the wash with them. Once the clothes are dry, they won't smell like vinegar.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I find that some baking soda, or something like oxy clean along w/ EXTRA detergent usually does the trick. My SO has a habit of leaving the clothes on our basement floor, which gets wet if it happens to rain. So i have dealt w/ mildew smell before. Hot water works best if your clothes can handle it. My mom says vinegar works well too, but i don't know if it will smell vineger-ish or not. My SO said he once washed them with dish detergent, & he said that got the smell out. There's probably a few things that will work nicely.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• throw them away and buy new ones...
    Anonymous

• vinegar! wash and scrub in vinegar and water really well and let dry in the sun. the smell will go away once dry
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Borax or the Arm & Hammer Washing soda will work wonders. This happened to me once and I only use Borax on our smelly towels and clothes, so I rewashed the load of clothes and added Borax to it. Worked like a charm.
    You do have to pull out each article of clothing, shake it out, then add it back into the washer so everything can be washed properly. If everything is still squashed to the sides of the washing machine, then they won't rewash properly.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:48 AM on Jul. 10, 2009