I want to breastfeed when I have my baby but I'm worried about the challenges of having a 3 1/2 yr. old and it being summer not to mention all the questions from my son any advice?

mlm_2001

Asked by mlm_2001 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• sorry confused - what are your worries for breastfeeding in the summer? My oldest was three and a half when my middle one was born. Told him new baby would need mommy's milk like when he used to be a baby and he needed it, mommy's milk is for babies. My middle was told same thing when she was almost four when my youngest was born.

If your bf now you might just stop cause it could hurt your breasts make them more sore being pregnant. again - offer older child ways to cuddle and ask him for ideas instead of nursing if he's still nursing and you want to stop enforcing verbally mommy's milk has to grow to feed new little baby.

Have a batch of new dollar store little lovies to give your son to distract him if he's persistent and no works clearly when said firmly constantly. Have him write draw a book to new baby about how mommy took care of him when he was little and growing. Kids your son's age love to play big siblingroll.
    Anonymous

• You want to do what's best for your baby, and that's commendable. As far as what to tell your 3 year old, you just tell him "That's how Mommy feeds the baby." The question is answered at that point. He's still too young to care, really.

Take it one day at a time. At first it will be challenging, but worth it in the end! My sister breastfed her youngest (of 3) exclusively until he was 7 months old, and continued to breastfeed him until he self-weaned at 15 months. And her other kids were both under 4. It can be done!

christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 12:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• lol I am breastfeeding a 28 month old AND a 10 month old! Yes , it can be hard at first but having to stop what you are doing to nurse the baby is a great break for your body. You are going to need a break! @ 3 your older child won't really care what you are doing.... but it will give you the change to read to him with you are nursing. It can be done! lol good luck!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2009