Traveling W/ Baby

I am about to travel with my 10mos old for the first time (airplane) and I have a few questions. I breastfeed, but can I bring along a bottle of expressed milk, Tylenol,Cheerios on the plane with me? Also, can I take a carryon and store overhead, plus her diaper bag and just store this by my feet like you would a purse? The airline charges 20+ for each bag that you check-uggh! I'm bringing a lightweight stroller and checking it at the gate. A friend is letting me use her carseat for the week so I won't have to uninstall mine, lug around etc. Any other tips would be great!

witchdoctor

Asked by witchdoctor at 12:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You will have to ask the airline those questions. I know at some point they were very picky on bottled liquids, breastmilk and formula included, but they might have lightened up a bit. Doing a gate check with a stoller is an EXCELLENT idea. I used to have to fly my son out to San Fran every 2-6 weeks from about the time he was 14 months till he was 4 or 5 years old lol. It's an adventure
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• The diaper bag would have to go under the seat in front of you but it's still in reach so that is not a big deal. It depends on how long your going to be on the plain, if it were me I would bring dry formula and water, the liquid thing might be a problem so just bring the powder, one day wont hurt of using formula that is. You can B/F on a plain though, just go to the bathroom and do it. Bring the things that keep your child happy or else your going to have some mad passengers. It's going to be fine as long as you have food to feed your baby and diapers and a change of clothes(just in case).
    Anonymous

• ive never traveled with a baby, but i have traveled ALOT and i have traveled with a kitten. the tylenol and cheerios would definatly be fine, and you can bring a carry on and her diaperbag. ive brought up to 3 medium to small size bags on the plane with me. you can put one in the overhead, and anything else needs to be able to fit under your seat, but theyre usually not THAT strict if its sticking out a little bit. The only thing im not sure about, is the bottle of expressed milk. last time i was on a plane, which was in march, you still werent allowed to bring any liquids through security or on the plane. so you should definatly check with the airport or your airline about that because i dont think you will be able to. I dont know what airline your flying, but i fly jetblue. if you happen to be using jetblue, bring headphones if he/she likes to watch tv because there is a tv in the back of the seat in front of you. good luck
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• yeah you can bring a stroller, carrying on bag, and a fat diaper bag they just mke u stuff it under the seat in front its fun i toook my bebe on... baby tylenol cherrrrios, etc. everythang!!!!! have fun where you going???
    BriannaBopp

Answer by BriannaBopp at 1:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• you can bring liquids the security just use a device to check it, if its not dugs or beer your set don't trip just have a good trip.... ; ) hey where you going i'm really curious.?
    BriannaBopp

Answer by BriannaBopp at 1:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• Nowhere exotic I'm afraid I'm going back home to South Dakota and then Minnesota to visit my parents and my brother who recently had twins.
    witchdoctor

Answer by witchdoctor at 2:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• You can check with the airline but I think most of them have the same guidelines. I just flew with my 5 month old on airtran and I was allowed the usual 1 carry-on, 1 personal item PLUS an extra carry-on (diaper bag) for the baby supplies. I believe you are allowed to take a bottle of expressed milk if you choose to. I just breastfed my dd since it was so much easier and didn't have any problems with that. I would recommend you either feed your baby or give a pacifier for them to suck on during take off and landing so their ears can adjust to the pressure changes without too much trouble.
    rebeccasmommy09

Answer by rebeccasmommy09 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2009