Why did he stop saying his words?

My son is 14 months old and he use to say mama, dada, puppy, dog, duck duck, bye bye. But he has just stoped a few weeks ago. He still make noises and such. we read to him and talk to him and tell him what everything is. If you ask for kisses he gives them.

Why did he stop and when will he start again?

Im trying to get him to say more and juice and no luck. Oh and he's still not walking alone....

mommy2bee212007

Asked by mommy2bee212007 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Cause he's at a stubborn age lol. He's at a perfect age for testing his boundaries. If he wants more juice tell him that he has to say Juice Please or he doesn't get any and dont' make an issue out of it, just state it plainly.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• has he had a cold recently? My daughter would regress a bit when her ears would get fluid in them.
    Anonymous

• my son is also 14 months old. at 10 months old he once said DADDY to his daddy, and while changing a diaper, after I said "pee pee", he repeated PEE PEE! but he hasnt said them since. he has said many words but is also going through a silent phase lol. when SO walks in from work he (our son) runs to the door and repeats DADDA, and when hungry or wanting his sippy he says NANA, but he doesnt always say HI to everyone, doesnt always wave nor has he pointed yet...it's more back to babbling again! Keep doing what your dong. stimulate your son with words, point to things, read to him.... he'll eventually start talking again. I hope the same for my son!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• my son stopped talking all together at 15 months. At his 18month checkup he still wasn't talking- so we told his Dr. and she had him evaluated- he ended up having at home speech therapy. Now I can't get him to be quiet :) Some kiddos just need extra time :) We used sign language in the meantime- it was AWESOME- I wish I could have "forced" him to use his words by withholding juice, ect- but for my kiddo he would get SO frusterated he would hurt himself. sign language helped him use words and stay clam. it does NOT hinder speech at all- also he didn't walk by himeself until he was 16 months old. Boys are the SLOWEST to mature :) (that is what we were told) hang in there- don't stress- give it time :) and enjoy the quiet while you can!!!
    Anonymous

• I would bring it up with his dr at your next visit. And if YOU have a concern, I would have him evaluated. Sign language definitely can help, I started with my kids when they were 8-9 months - my oldest never caught on and that should have been my first clue that he has autism, but he was my first and I didn't know.

Answer by missanc at 2:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• I would bring it up to your doctor. A regression in a skill, if it's temporary, can mean nothing...but for weeks? Talk to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• talk to ur doc right away not too scare u but it could a an early sign of autism being hes still not walking alone and all ofa sudden stopped talking then again it might just be a phase but call the doc to play it safe oh does he give anyone specially u eye contact less?
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 8:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• My oldest son has autism, but eye contact was never an issue for him. He's 11 now and I'm sure the drs are more in tune to that kind of stuff, but he told me not to worry because my son did give eye contact and turned when you called his name. There can be a LOT of different signs, but I definitely would discuss it with your dr, and trust your own instincts

Answer by missanc at 8:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2009